The Power of the Meraki Teleworker Gateway

AdamB
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The Power of the Meraki Teleworker Gateway

Hi everyone!

Given that a lot of people are working from home right now we decided to make a quick video showing how you might use a Meraki appliance as a teleworker gateway.

For more details and best practices on Cisco Meraki teleworker solutions see this article: Meraki and Cisco Collaboration Teleworker Solution for Businesses

If there is any other video content you'd like to see, let us know in the comments!

20 REPLIES 20
MeredithW
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

lol "business critical applications"

Meredith W | Community Manager, Cisco Meraki

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below) New to the community? Get started here
corndogisgood
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Nice one adam!

The cutting over was impressive. I was legit thinking "they did think about the fact that the call is going to break right".

The Power of the Telenworker gateway is well about 50 Watts 😄
Funny video guys 🙂 I love it.

Also a good case for using 5 GHz wireless in your client devices, because did you see that airtime utilzation on 2.4.

athornfam2
Comes here often

I saw a York,PA there Adam. I wonder who from Cisco is in my neck of the woods. Otherwise good well rounded video. Are we going to see an uptick in production of the MX & MR devices?
WWWolf
Here to help

At ~ $300+ a piece, the Z3 boxes aren't exactly something we would be handing out to all remote users but I could see some critical roles where they would be worth every penny.  I especially like the  option of being able to plug an IP phone in for use at home.

Glenn1
Conversationalist

Super informative and powerful video. Meraki is easy to tech but some really cool and innovative technology. Wish our company would implement more of Meraki gear.

TQuick-1
Conversationalist

This could have came in handy for some of the users we had to get working from home. 

QBM
Here to help

Great little video - loved the Office Space movie TPS report reference.

Would suggest that he adds a link to the various teleworker office appliances or at least list them.

Thanks
JimmyPhelan
Getting noticed

You have the cellular gateway in the video, but if someone happens to get their hands on a Z3C, watch out.

Do not pack it all up, new and unboxed, with a lovely nano sim, and unlimited 4G plan, and drive to a remote site...

The cellular configuration needs to come down from the Dashboard, which means you need an ethernet internet connection first for the Z3C to sync up. Watch out!!

@JimmyPhelan wrote:

You have the cellular gateway in the video, but if someone happens to get their hands on a Z3C, watch out.

Do not pack it all up, new and unboxed, with a lovely nano sim, and unlimited 4G plan, and drive to a remote site...

The cellular configuration needs to come down from the Dashboard, which means you need an ethernet internet connection first for the Z3C to sync up. Watch out!!

Yup. Sounds like you found out the hard way? 🙄

I did, and god bless Internet Connection Sharing on an old Windows 7 Laptop

Thank you for that heads up.  So far we've only done Z3 models but one or two new customers are considering Z3c's and one of those would be primarily run over cellular. 

We usually preload/configure/allow firmware updates before a box goes out but occasionally send out unconfig'd units at customer request (or direct ship because someone is in a hurry) and that would be an unpleasant surprise...

Watch out for Trial Kit on this, as they tend to be direct shipped!

M4TT
Conversationalist

Quick question regarding this. I assume that once the configuration is downloaded over an ethernet internet connection it would then work in the scenario? i.e. it doesn't need to download this configuration on every reboot and would continue to work for a user with failed internet for a few days (even being rebooted) while waiting for the internet connection to be fixed.

Thanks in advance

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Yep, once a device has a downloaded configuration it will come up and use the configuration it already has, it doesn’t need to download it again. When it connects to the Dashboard if there have been changes while it was offline then it will download them.

GT
Here to help

Great Job Adam, had to smile about the TPS reports!  🙂 

FlyingFrames
Getting noticed

Is a 2nd physical uplink supported with Z3 via a WAN port? Or for that MX is needed?

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

The Z3 only has one uplink, if you want two uplinks you need an MX - MX64 is the smallest.

CMIT-Dub
Conversationalist

Great video but I must have missed something. My Site-B is configured as 'Spoke' selecting Site-A as hub. Site-A needed to be set to 'Hub'. VPN status is green. Both IP ranges are different, one 10.10.... and the other 192.168.... When I map from computer/Site-B to share on computer/Site-A it will not connect as simply in your video. Using Windows 10. What am I missing?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels