PoE ports active?

SOLVED
mgclark
Here to help

PoE ports active?

We are in a trial with an MX65 and MX100. We want to use the PoE ports on the MX65 for Cisco phones. Neither port 11 or 12 are providing power. I logged in to the local device and both ports are enabled. I've tried different cables and phones as well.

Is there something else I'm missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Yeah, I think those are pre-standard POE.  Not sure if there is anyway to adapt them except a pre-standard POE adapter or power supply?

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

What model phones?  MX65 probably doesn't support old POE method.

7940G

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Yeah, I think those are pre-standard POE.  Not sure if there is anyway to adapt them except a pre-standard POE adapter or power supply?

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

Here is some more information from the Cisco forums about these phones for reference.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/ip-telephony/powering-poe-7940g-ip-phones/td-p/2098211

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Should be by default but make sure POE is turned on for the port setting as well.  But the other posters are more than likely on the right track about it being the old POE standard.  We have a few of those floating around that cause trouble with some of our MS POE switches as well. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.

OK. Thanks all.

Make sure the ports are enabled. 

On my MX65, the ports supply two MR33 without issue.  It is my understanding that the ports are dynamically powered.  If they don't sense a power draw, they will not supply power.

Dave Anderson
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels