Overload Meraki ?

and12345
Here to help

Overload Meraki ?

Hi, first time using MX and so far the experience is very good. Right now we're using MX67 as our gateway, a few days ago we experience network outage several times during live conference and trying to find out why the outage occured. I've checked on the ISP NMS and can confirm their network doesn't have problem.

Some question here : 

1. how does meraki treat client size limit (MX67 is recommended to use for network 50 clients and below - but we're pushing this by using it on network with 100 clients as our uplink only 2x20Mbps).
  2. Every time the network outage occurred we notice on Meraki log there's several "Events dropped" log, does this mean our MX is overload (still the bandwidth utilization is low - about 15Mbps only and the uplink monitoring on meraki to 8.8.8.8 is working fine) ?
  3. On summary report, at the time network outage occurred the MX CPU utilization is very low - 10-40% only

I suspect this happened because Meraki have packet overload from 100 clients, but still confused why the utilization is low.

6 REPLIES 6
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @and12345 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Device_Utilization

Have you checked out the device utilisation stats on the MX.

Never purposely overloaded an MX so not sure on what behaviour you would see or expect.  One would assume it may grind to a halt...!

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Hi, the utilization is low, but we got a lot of event dropped on the event log

and12345_0-1598786524994.png

and12345_0-1598786773105.png

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@and12345 can you send the events to a syslog server where hopefully we can see why there are so many events and why they are being dropped?

I seem to remember there can be a storage issue on the small MXs, might be worth getting support to take a look at that.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@and12345 if you ask the support team they can see more metrics, having more clients connected than recommend doesn't automatically cause issues, we often have 100+ going through MX64/5/7 for the public internet connection at our venues but they are running the enterprise software with little in the way of policies and many of the clients are smartphones only doing occasional background checks.  However our MX tend to sit at about 5-10% CPU load...

Red-Five
Here to help

Couple of things I'd check in SD-WAN\Config\Traffic Shaping:  1) don't set the WAN uplink limits to exactly match your service; leave some buffer.  2) same location Traffic Shaping Rules enable the default rules; they help greatly prioritizing traffic.  This same setting can be set if you're using Meraki WiFi as well.

and12345
Here to help

Opening ticket to the support and they confirm the cause of network down is because MX overload, the event dropped log is because of spike of traffic that not getting logged on MX utilization. Maybe its time to look for bigger firewall.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels