OSPF Router ID

SOLVED
DerikA
Getting noticed

OSPF Router ID

I have an MX100 set up as a VPN concentrator/hub for our Meraki networks. It is configured with a warm spare. We are then advertising OSPF to a Cisco layer 3 switch so the local network can see all the spoke networks. 

Primary MX100 static IP of 192.168.0.10

Spare MX100 static IP of 192.168.11

Gateway for both 192.168.0.1

Virtual IP of 192.168.0.2

OSPF Router ID is 192.168.0.10

All of this was set up before I arrived.

My question is if the primary MX fails. Will OSPF still be advertised correctly? To me since it is using the static IP for primary MX as the router ID rather than the virtual IP it would fail. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for any isite.

DerikA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>So just to confirm as a "best practice" it would be best to change the OSPF router ID to the VIP rather than the static of the primary MX, correct?

It will make no difference.  It is just an ID.  It's like a drivers licence.  It has no impact on routing (or driving).

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would not expect that to have any impact.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @DerikA  switch to the VIP address otherwise as you state OSPF will fail if the primary fails

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>...switch to the VIP address otherwise as you state OSPF will fail if the primary fails

How?  He is using OSPF.  Everything is dynamically advertised.  He doesn't mention any static routes.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Good point @PhilipDAth 

It’s just the way we’ve always implemented MX pairs with the VIP used for everything.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Correct we do not have any static routes in this situation.

Like I said my worry is if the primary MX dies since the OSPF router ID is the static of the primary the locale networks on my layer 3 switch will lose the spoke networks attached to the hub MX pair.

So just to confirm as a "best practice" it would be best to change the OSPF router ID to the VIP rather than the static of the primary MX, correct?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>So just to confirm as a "best practice" it would be best to change the OSPF router ID to the VIP rather than the static of the primary MX, correct?

It will make no difference.  It is just an ID.  It's like a drivers licence.  It has no impact on routing (or driving).

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@DerikA Check out for OSPF routing in the link below

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides/VPN_Concentrator_Deployment_Guide 

Inderdeep_0-1619552284307.png

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels