MX80 Wan 2 Link failed

IdealCH
Conversationalist

MX80 Wan 2 Link failed

Hi All. First time poster here so I hope you can help me out!

I'm trying to set up Wan 2 on my MX80 but the link is showing a failed state. I have a Huawei AF23 Sharing dock with a USB cellular modem plugged into it. The device it connected by Ethernet cable to Wan 2.

I have tested it connected directly to a laptop via cable, wirelessly and also through a switch. All scenarios work. When connected to the MX80 Wan 2 port, the link status shows this (Full I.P.'s not shown here for obvious resons):

WAN 2
STATUS
Failed
IP (STATIC)
87.192.xxx.xxx
VIRTUAL IP
GATEWAY
87.192.xxx.xxx
DNS
62.231.xxx.xxx
62.231.xxx.xxx

What could be the problem here?

6 REPLIES 6
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Login to the MX local admin and verify what port WAN2 is assigned to.  It isn't necessarily port 2.  Also make sure that port is set for internet.  

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
IdealCH
Conversationalist

Hi Adam,

A quick note first of all, the device is an MX84 not MX80 as I stated incorrectly earlier.

I'm not sure about what you are asking me to do. When I look at the appliance status page I see this

status.JPG

and this

status2.JPG

I looked everywhere but I can't see where I can check the port.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

why is your ip assigned staticly?

im not familiar with your upstream device but is it not assigning a private range adres to your mx? 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

When you plug in your test notebook - do you give it a static IP or let it use DHCP?

Whatever you use, WAN2 should be configured the same way.

It's on DHCP now, it didn't take effect until the MX84 rebooted after a firmware upgrade last night but the issue seems to be with the mobile broadband provider from what I can tell.
IdealCH
Conversationalist

Some further information I have discovered.

The mobile broadband provider I am using is Vodafone Ireland. I can ping but not traceroute external I.P. addresses.

When I change the SIM to a Three Ireland I can traceroute. I've not yet tested full connectivity using the Three SIM as I don't want to knock the office offline but it seems that Vodafone have some restrictions on their network that is causing the problem.

Any thoughts?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels