MX67W started blocking Whatsapp

maishida
Here to help

MX67W started blocking Whatsapp

Hi, my home MX suddenly seems to start blocking Whatsapp traffic. I have tried to find if there is any specific filter but did not find anything.

Any suggestion for verification ? Or anyone experiencing same issue.

One last info is that my meraki mx is connected to the internet service provider wifi router. I tested connecting direct to that bypassing meraki, and it worked perfectly.

Tks,

8 REPLIES 8
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Do you have IPS/IDS/AMP features enabled? Or content filtering, any L7 rules etc.

Whitelist your client that is being blocked on WhatsAPP, to bypass all of those, and see what you get. Might be one of them is bugging out (reboot usually resolves).

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
Nash
Kind of a big deal

@NolanHerring wrote:

Do you have IPS/IDS/AMP features enabled? Or content filtering, any L7 rules etc.

Whitelist your client that is being blocked on WhatsAPP, to bypass all of those, and see what you get. Might be one of them is bugging out (reboot usually resolves).

Could not tell you the number of times I've had to just bounce an MX to resolve inappropriate blocking of websites, after checking all the things Nolan listed.

I've trained my entire office on the concept of MX "indigestion" at this point.

Yeah, i see.

But to be honest i never had any issue with Meraki, really happy.

But this one is really weird.

Looking forward to see if there is a reason for this.

Tks for posting.

Sounds like the MX does not have anything going on the would prevent WhatsApp from working. I would try reboot the MX, and then put your device in airplane mode (no cellular) and connect it to the wireless and try again. Also reboot the wireless router if you have one in the mix.

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

I've had similar issues in the past but with Steam downloads, for me disabling advance malware protection and turning it back on again fixed the issue.

Usually it takes months to go wrong for me so its very intermittant. 

I also did that, rebooted everything but still no success.

One thing i decided to do is on my phone App settings (whatsapp) i turned off the possibility of switching to Mobile Data. Warning msgs stopped. But that is really strange, because seems now it is working... so maybe something related to the phone.

Will try to post something on Samsung Mobile communitites.

This sounds like DNS and similar to my internet experience up until recently. I had been using a 4G Huawei modem into my Meraki, and i had problems. Lots of them. All DNS related. Once i moved to a VDSL connection, the issue was gone.

They manifested themselves in almost the exact same way.

What internet connectivity have you got?

Hi Nolan, tks for replying.

Well, all my "trusted" devices in my network are whitelisted.
And no FW/Sec, IPS/IDS/AMP, neither L7 rules applied.

And problem still happens.

I am getting the following msg on my mobile (btw it is a samsung S10 - SM-G973F model) :
"WhatsApp is using mobile data
WhatsApp is using mobile data because the current Wi-Fi network is blocking it or there's a connection problem"

Any add suggestion for investigation is appreciated.

Tks,

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels