MX64W not connecting to Meraki Cloud

SOLVED
jdestef17
Getting noticed

MX64W not connecting to Meraki Cloud

Hello,

We have a client that is currently using a Linksys router because it's the only thing that works. About a year ago, we installed a Meraki MX64w and assumed it was DOA. After we RMA'd, we realized the new MX64w we got did not work either. Optimum is the ISP, (naturally they claim things are fine on their end) and everything is DHCP. When the Linksys is plugged in, it brings the network up. Any thoughts?

We tried the following:

New cable from modem to router

New router

Configuring different settings in MX

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdestef17
Getting noticed

So I don’t want to jinx it but they’ve been up for 12 hours now. I turned everything off, powered up the modem and MX. Saw it go white for a second then back to red. Went into the local config page for MX and set static ip information, saved then went back to DHCP and saved. This coupled with a reboot of modem seemed to fix it. 

Found that “fix” on reddit and it looks like it worked for me. 🤞🏻

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Cmiller
Building a reputation

Some ISP have to have the MAC registered on their side.
Does the MX work on another network, or with a USB Modem?
Can you put the MX behind the Linksys Router and get it online?
Also can you take the IP the Linksys router gets and static that via the Local IP assignment:
Connect a client to the MX. The local status page can be accessed via the management port or via the LAN ports.
Once you have obtained an IP address, browse to the url wired.meraki.com.
On this page, click Configure.
The page should now prompt for login credentials. If local login credentials were configured via Dashboard, please use these credentials. Otherwise, the default login is the device's serial number as the username and a blank password.
Each device is labeled with its serial number on the bottom label.
On the Configure page, set the needed connection information.

I will try this out tomorrow. I just got some new information that the MX actually used to work a year ago until a really strong storm knocked them offline. Then we RMA'd thinking the Meraki died, but the new Meraki wouldn't connect either. Any ideas as to what a storm could've done? Thanks. 

In my country, ISPs typically use a VLAN tag of 10.  So when we configure an MX for an ISP using DHCP we have to also configure a VLAN tag of 10 on the local status page.

Perhaps the ISP you are using also uses a VLAN tag.

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Think you should try to connect a laptop to the linksys first and see what kind of IP you get.

Maybe the ISP just say they are using local IP Addresses. maybe the linksys is in bridge mode and forwards public IP addresses which can´t be handled by the mx?

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

If the Linksys works, the Meraki MX should too. I'd try to find the differences between the two. I think @Cmiller and @BrandonS bring up good questions that need answers.

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I'll make a wild guess-  Maybe Optimum uses PPPoE and they Linksys has that configured?

Have you tried just connecting a laptop to the Optimum circuit to see if it provides you an IP or not?

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
jdestef17
Getting noticed

So I don’t want to jinx it but they’ve been up for 12 hours now. I turned everything off, powered up the modem and MX. Saw it go white for a second then back to red. Went into the local config page for MX and set static ip information, saved then went back to DHCP and saved. This coupled with a reboot of modem seemed to fix it. 

Found that “fix” on reddit and it looks like it worked for me. 🤞🏻

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Sounds like browser issue maybe?  I seem to recall having a similar issue before where static IP info I put in and saved didn't take and I had go apply it again.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels