MX64 speeds dropped

SOLVED
Flamer
Here to help

MX64 speeds dropped

This is quite a strange issue,  I was noticing slow download speeds and general poor performance in the last few weeks, I did some speed tests and got only 20Mbps down and half that up, now my ISp provide a 300/100 connection and I had previously base lined it, I got right on the Meraki limit of about 250 down and 100 up. So off to the ISp I went and complained, they of course said no issue. 

I logged into the Meraki local config page (192.168.0.1 by default) and noticed there was a test speed option there, tried that and sure enough 20Mbps, ok so let me ISP off the hook a bit now, I then factory reset the MX, when ti came back up, I tested it again, and 200+Mbps. woohoo I think its fixed, i then enable the internet link, it pulls its config down, reboots and I run the test again, again back to 20mb!!?

I am aware there is a traffic shaping option in Meraki, mine is set to 250/100 but even still, this is to the local LAN page from a 1gbps wired pc. I did the same test from one other wired device and 2 wireless devices, all got similar 20Mbps, none of those devices all share a common medium.

I am still going to plug a PC directly into the fibre ONT to test the speeds but I am now fairly positive this is the MX64 at fault. any ideas what could cause this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Brash, thank you! My issue is now resolved.

I went into the "Threat protection" page in Meraki cloud, I had malware protection enabled and intrusion detection set to prevent, I suspect these may have been newer features that got enabled with firmware updates and not quite capable of running on the poor old mx64, disabling both and now I am maxing out the license limit on the Meraki again!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Connecting a PC directly to the fibre CPE and testing speeds to verify is a good start.

A couple of other things:

- What version is your MX running?

- Do you have advanced security features enabled (IPS, content filtering etc.)?

- Do you have any traffic/bandwidth shaping set on SSID, group policy or subnet?

Brash, thank you! My issue is now resolved.

I went into the "Threat protection" page in Meraki cloud, I had malware protection enabled and intrusion detection set to prevent, I suspect these may have been newer features that got enabled with firmware updates and not quite capable of running on the poor old mx64, disabling both and now I am maxing out the license limit on the Meraki again!

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What firmware version?

I am experiencing the same slowness. and just posted it here as well (https://community.meraki.com/t5/Security-SD-WAN/MX-slowing-down-internet-speed-by-90/m-p/176009)

I do have (and want) Intrusion detect set to prevent and malware protection enabled. I paid for it. It has also worked flawlessly for years on my MX65

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

While Advanced Security protections do add load to any MX, they aren't enabled by default and just enabling those features alone shouldn't restrict throughput that much  (see Page 3 number for the MX64 column here:  https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Networks_and_Routing/MX_Routing_Behavior#AutoVPN_and_Non-Meraki_....)

I'd check that you're on the latest stable firmware release and contact Meraki Support if it stays the same.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I noticed much performance lost going from 16.x  to 17.x using ips.

Support tells me its expected and numbers from that pdf is from older fw.  "All throughout performance results above are achieved running MX 14.39 firmware "

I dont understand why that sheet isnt updated with newer fw test speeds. It needs that to be usefull

Flamer
Here to help

Hi all,

the Mx64 is running - Current version: MX 18.101

My dashboard was also updated fairly recently (looks newer not sure if that matters).

Another point of note, this is my home network, I am the sole user of this network so those advanced features crippled the MX64 with a single user on it!

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you like to have ips, I would try 16.x fw if you dont use ipv6

railai24
Conversationalist

It happened to me also with the beta firmware. I was confused at that time why i'm getting only 40++mbps on my 250mbps internet subscription. I made already the device be whitelisted, but same. So, it seems on your end is the IPS/IDS functionality that is hampering the speeds. For me, I reverted back to 17.xx series firmware for now.

good to have someone else confirm it too, |I downgraded to v17 (its the furthest back it would let me go) and now I have IPS and antimalware enabled again and still getting maxxed speeds! I also disabled the beta train for all my devices 😄

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels