MX64 and USB Modem in Australia

SOLVED
Ashley
Conversationalist

MX64 and USB Modem in Australia

Hi

Has anyone in Australia got a USB modem working on a MX64?

I'm connecting to the Telstra network using a custom APN to get a public IP address assigned to the modem.

From the supported modem list https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Cellular/3G_-_4G_Cellular_Failover

I have tried the following

Sierra Wireless AirCard 320U This modem isn't detected on the MX64 but is detected on a MX60

Huawei E3276s-150 Detects and connects but the connection speed is very slow. Modem works fine on a PC.

Was told by support the Huawei E3372s-153 were very good. Was able to get one but it's a Huawei E3372h-607 (Box only had E3372 on it) This modem works great but the HiLink mode that it runs means it runs in a router mode and has it's own private ip so port forwarding will not work and this is a requirement.

I'm into the 4 month of trying to get this solved. We have also tried beta firmware V13.x and V14.x with no success.

Hoping someone has a suggestion.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I've pretty much given up using USB sticks.  Get a 4G "hot spot" instead that has Ethernet ports on it.  The convert port 3 on your MX64 to a WAN port (via the local status page) and plug that into the hot spot.

Life will then be simple.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I've pretty much given up using USB sticks.  Get a 4G "hot spot" instead that has Ethernet ports on it.  The convert port 3 on your MX64 to a WAN port (via the local status page) and plug that into the hot spot.

Life will then be simple.

Ashley
Conversationalist

Good idea but hot spots like the Telstra (Netgear) Nighthawk M1 don't support bridge mode so no public IP address on the MX64.

However I did come across the Netgear LB2120 4G LTE Modem which does support bridge mode. I'm testing it right now and so far it appears to be working.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Why do you need a public IP on the MX?

Ashley
Conversationalist

Port forwarding
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It looks like you found a solution; otherwise perhaps it has an option to forward all ports (1-65535)?

We use some some of the 1120's and they work great on our ASA's.  We use the SkyusDS for our MXs with great success so far.

There is a Draytek router that has an LTE modem built in. It has all sorts of other useful features, and incidentally handles Source Specific Multicast, which the MX does not; so one may route the multicast round the MX direct to the switch. Plus it is full IPv6 ready.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

I'm lost at the converting a LAN port to WAN on the local status page.  Local status page only gives options of Enable/Disable and speed negotiation.  What am I missing?

Here are the instructions to convert LAN4 on an MX64 into a second WAN port.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Installation_Guides/MX64_Installation_Guide#Setting_up_seconda...

Ashley
Conversationalist

Just a quick update on this issue.

So the Netgear LB2120 4G LTE Modem works perfectly.

Set to bridge mode and add the APN for a public ip address with Telstra and connect it to the MX64W wan port.

Problem solved.

Thanks to @PhilipDAth for pointing me in the right direction.

We've had success with the Huawei E3276 on the MX84 & MX64's, using both Telstra & Optus SIMs.

s4mmy
Here to help

Just something on this, we have about 180 Sierra Wireless AirCard 320U working fine with MX64's.

You just need to make sure you have the firmware up to date, and turn off the autologon feature using the watcher on a PC.

Billy
Getting noticed

@s4mmy wrote:

Just something on this, we have about 180 Sierra Wireless AirCard 320U working fine with MX64's.

You just need to make sure you have the firmware up to date, and turn off the autologon feature using the watcher on a PC.

I second to that. I haven't tried MX64, but I've used AirCard 320U on MX100 (MX 13.28) with a Telstra SIM, without any issues.

Not sure if still relevant, i have 25 sites deployed all with a Huawei E8372 USB Dongle Modem.

On each one i have had to set the APN of the Huawei Modem itself to telstra.extranet.

Then i am having no issues from there!

The only other thing, if you're using VoiP system like 3CX, 3CX doesnt like SIP ALG, turn that off in the Huawei Modem itself

dalmiroy2k
Getting noticed

HUAWEI E8372 USB stick works great with MX64 and most APs, even Z3. I mostly use it a cellular backup.

Private APN configuration is made on the modem itself and connectivity should be tested on a PC before deploying on the MX.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels