MX64 & Verizon Fios Home Network Setup?

ColtonCameron
New here

MX64 & Verizon Fios Home Network Setup?

Hi all,

I'm very new to this so please bare with me.

I received a Cisco Meraki MX64 and I'm wondering how do I install it on my Verizon Fios home network? I have the Fios Quantum Gateway Model FiOS-G1100, if that helps. 

The way that the equipment is connected right now is the ONT is connected to the Fios router's WAN port.

So do I just plug in the MX64 into one of the LAN ports? 

Any help is appreciated! 

6 REPLIES 6
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes and if you search these forums for fios, you will find several identical questions that may have some helpful extra information for your situation.  Remember to move your other wired devices to the LAN ports of the MX64 so they pass through it and you can see/control what they are doing.

merakichamp
Building a reputation

@ColtonCameron  

In terms of the physical connection between the MX64 and the Verizon Fios, you should connect the MX on the LAN side of your Verizon device. Ultimately, Verizon will still be your outbreak to the internet.

In terms of configuration, it will depend on your needs:

--- If you want the Verizon Fios to manage your public IP address ---

With this approach, you do not need any additional configuration in the Verizon Fios device. The MX will obtain an IP address from the DHCP server upstream and it will be able to work perfectly fine. I would recommend you set a static IP to the MX in both Verizon Fios config and the Meraki dashboard for possible future implementations you might want to do.

--- If you want the MX to manage the public IP address ---

Here you will have to go to the Verizon Fios device and configure it as bridge mode. With this, the ISP will provide the public IP address to the MX and you will be able to access the MX directly from the internet without any additional configuration. After that, you should not do any additional configuration in the MX to bring it online.

If you would like to know how to identify if the device is online or if your device is accepting the private/public IP address, you can follow this guide.

I'm trying to set up a verizon router coming off a MX68 that has a static IP from Verizon.  The problem is that the cable guide doesn't get a external network IP address and the channel guide doesn't list TV show information.  Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

You don’t have to do any of that to have the MX get the public IP.   All you have to do is login into ur FiOS router and tell it to release the DHCP IP you are getting for the WAN.  The minute that happens unplug your FiOS router.   Next get the Ethernet cable that goes into your FiOS router WAN port and plug it into the meraki mx64 internet port.   If it doesn’t work on the first shot hit the reset button on the ONT.   now if you have FiOS TV service, reconfigure one of your lan ports on your MX to a vlan 50 for example with any IP address scheme except 192.168.1.1.   Next plug an Ethernet cable from the mx64 lan port to the FiOS router wan port.  Now your TV guide and PPV works.   Done it millions of times and works flawlessly.

I'm curious do you setup a DHCP service in the MX for that LAN port for VLAN 50?

Does this cause any issues with DVR, etc?

with the MX topping off at about 250Mbps, how do you deal with Gig FiOS? I'm currently running two ethernet cables from the FiOS router to the two WAN ports on the MX. But I want setup VPN, so I think I need to set it up in front of the FiOS router.

I don’t have the mx64 for the gig FiOS.  I’m running an MX250.   But the way I have it setup Is as follows.

ONT to MX250 via Internet port 2 (home connection)

On one of the lan ports I have assigned a VLAN 80 with DHCP enabled with the following range: 172.16.80.0/28 and have that port plugged into my WAN port of the FiOS router for the TV portion to work.

make sure you do not assign a 192.168.1.0/24 as it will conflict with the FiOS router internal network.  And then you can configure the VPN using the dynamic DNS name of the meraki.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels