MX64 DNS is Misconfigured

ludwigbery
Getting noticed

MX64 DNS is Misconfigured

Hi can someone enlighten me that I haven't misconfigure my MX?

I got alert from the dashboard saying "DNS is misconfigured" and on WAN 1 it has "Failed" status yet I have internet connectivity and my server is reachable outside my network and over the internet.

can't find any resolution on this. 

11 REPLIES 11
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@ludwigbery  This is most likely a false positive, if the device is showing active in the dashboard and you can adjust the config on the device and it sitck then I wouldn't worry.

I have  a switch thats showing me the exact same alert even though its DNS is configured the same as every other switch on the network.

@BlakeRichardsonYes, thank you! I can edit the config on MX. I will coordinate with the ISP with this.

@ludwigbery below is what my switch is doing regarding the DNS error.

Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 2.46.41 PM.png

@BlakeRichardsonthat's quite reasonable but mine is a little bit different.

this is my last day report

pflex.JPG

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Is this your only DNS or do you have other which can be set?

Have this problems some times as well. after changing the DNS in "DHCP"-Settings its fine again.

@MarcP  its my only DNS and I already performed changing DNS on the settings but it did not work... just a hint, I have a server that needs to be accessed outside and it still resolves

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

when this error is seen make some captures to see of the mx ip fails on any of these checks https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Other_Topics/Upstream_Firewall_Rules_for_Cl...

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

From a command prompt go:

nslookup

server a.b.c.d

www.google.com

Where a.b.c.d is one of the uplink DNS servers.  Is it able to sucessfully resolve a DNS name like www.google.com when it is sent directly to the DNS server from a machine behind the MX?

@PhilipDAthhi thank you for the hint, after doing that, it says DNS request time out.

Something is wrong with accessing that DNS server.

Does it work when your query 8.8.8.8 instead?

yes, it gives server ip address but when using hostname.com.ph it gives DNS timeout, I'm currently troubleshooting

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels