MX400 Power Supply Spares

SOLVED
IanH
Getting noticed

MX400 Power Supply Spares

Hi

Running a service for a customer, we have a number of MX400 in the field, and the issue we are having is that if the 

MX400 is a 275w we can't seem to find an available field replace SKU for this incase we needed to change this out.  Is it a case of the whole unit needs to be replaced, or can we replace just the faulty unit?  

Looking at finding the right service solutions for our customer hence asking the question which enables us to spare up correctly above and beyond Limited Life Time Warranty etc...

Thanks

Ian H

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
IanH
Getting noticed

Thanks i think i may need to seek advise from the RMA team at Cisco on the basis of how they deal with these situations.  it seems like there is no orderable SKU for the MX400 PSU's, so this is only a back end process and nothing that i can spare up for up front.  As a Managed Service, It may be the case we replace the Unit with other PSU's cobbled together from other MX400, straight replace the unit, or even long term, replace with the MX250.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Adam
Kind of a big deal

I see that the MX400 comes with dual 275W power supplies as you specified.  Are they modular/replaceable or integrated?

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
IanH
Getting noticed

Hi Adam,

That forms part of my question really, i'm not sure that they are swappable, and hence no field replaceable unit, and in the event of a failure, you need to swap the whole unit.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Installation_Guides/MX400_Installation_Guide

I can't see anything on here that actually defines the PSU's as modular/replaceable, so figuring that we'd swap th efull unit out on the event of a failure.

Whilst the newer 250/450 units do have out of interest...

Cheers

Ian H

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

The MX datasheet says the MX400/600 are "internal" whereas the MX250/450 are "modular" on page 7.

https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_mx.pdf

😞

IanH
Getting noticed

Thanks, interesting as i've just got these from our Workshop, although they have valid SKU's, it would seem they are not SKU's available for purchase direct through the normal direct channels...

Couple of photos attached, any thoughts?  

MX400 - 2.JPGMX400 - 1.JPG

IanH
Getting noticed

I guess my thoughts are what is best practice for the field engineers, do they have replacement units for these, or swap out the whole unit if one of the PSU's fail...

Regards

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I have a customer with MX400's and it was a couple years ago, but I recall they reported a beeping sound from one and it turned out a PSU had failed.  We simply got an RMA through support and the end customer swapped the power supply himself.  I am a little unclear exactly what you are asking but yes, the power supplies are modular and can be swapped.  I don't recall if it was a hot swap or if support advised to shut down first though.

This reminds me of the fact that there was no event log or email alert for the PSU failure event.  We would have never known if someone had not heard it beeping and investigated.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
IanH
Getting noticed

Thanks i think i may need to seek advise from the RMA team at Cisco on the basis of how they deal with these situations.  it seems like there is no orderable SKU for the MX400 PSU's, so this is only a back end process and nothing that i can spare up for up front.  As a Managed Service, It may be the case we replace the Unit with other PSU's cobbled together from other MX400, straight replace the unit, or even long term, replace with the MX250.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels