MX100 VPN client not using full bandwidth?

SOLVED
SteveInNP
Here to help

MX100 VPN client not using full bandwidth?

We have a Meraki MX100 which users connect to local resources using the Meraki client. We notice a signifigant speed decline when running a full tunnel VPN when accessing the internet. Fox example, the split tunnel VPN with get 211 down when the full will get 113 down. This was tested during off hours. Is this all attributed to VPN overhead and the round trip or can something be done to improve performance?

I checked the traffic shaping, and we have that configured for 150 down and 130 up and the per client bandwidth is set to unlimited. When a client is connected to the VPN, which one of these values is the limiting factor. I would think its the up / 130.

I worked with a consultant to setup this devices. I'm not sure why the up is set to 130. We have 150 both ways to our ISP. before changing that I wanted to make sure the was not a reason for this.

thanks

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Dylan_YYC
Getting noticed

I think you're getting about what you should be. The VPN overhead is a decent amount so you're getting pretty close to expected speeds. As for the limits, the traffic shaping is telling the MX what you have available, the per client bandwidth is what limits the clients connected behind the MX.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Dylan_YYC
Getting noticed

I think you're getting about what you should be. The VPN overhead is a decent amount so you're getting pretty close to expected speeds. As for the limits, the traffic shaping is telling the MX what you have available, the per client bandwidth is what limits the clients connected behind the MX.

Richard_W
A model citizen

So to clarify your WAN 1 is set at 150Mbps down and up is at 130Mbps and you have an asynchronous 150Mbps from your ISP yeah.

And you want to know why this was set as that rather than say WAN 1 being just set at 150Mbps?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels