MX WAN Connectivity

SOLVED
bvrussell
Conversationalist

MX WAN Connectivity

Dear All,

I have an MX84 configured with a static IP as provided by an ISP whom has a fibre setup in my clients building. The issue I have is the Meraki will not connect on the WAN. Configuration as follows:

MX84 WAN1 --> CISCO CATALYST PORT1 (ACCESS PORT) in VLAN 2 --> ROUTER --> INTERNET

I've not had to use this type of setup before on the WAN ports and I'm wondering why the Meraki won't come on line. Do I need to enable VLAN tagging and assign it VLAN2 or should it just work given that its connecting to an Access Port?

Sorry if this is vague but I'm unable to get to site at present to check. The output from the catalyst switch connected directly to the meraki WAN port displays STATUS - Not Connected.

Any input much appreciated

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It sounds like you have a physical cabling problem.

From the Catalyst switch can you supply the output of "show interface ..." for both of the ports.  Can you also share the config on thse two ports?

If the Catalyst switch is configured with an access port then the MX should not be configured with a VLAN number.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It sounds like you have a physical cabling problem.

From the Catalyst switch can you supply the output of "show interface ..." for both of the ports.  Can you also share the config on thse two ports?

If the Catalyst switch is configured with an access port then the MX should not be configured with a VLAN number.

Thanks for the input. We discovered when arriving onsite someone had moved the ethernet cable in the catalyst from port 1 to the console port.

Cable fault was absolutely correct. Thanks for the steer.

That's funny!

Ben
A model citizen

An MX behind an access port can work if the VLAN on the Access port is in the same range as the VLAN your static ip is in.

If there is a DHCP in the network you could put the MX in DHCP mode and see if it connects to the internet and check which address it receives.

If you cannot get onsite ask someone to hook up a laptop to the MX port and start a Teamviewer or other remote session to access the local status page of the MX to change it.

MX84 WAN1 --> CISCO CATALYST PORT1 (ACCESS PORT) in VLAN 2 --> ROUTER --> INTERNET

What is behind the Cisco Catalyst apart from your MX84? Internal LAN?

Regards,

Ben

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels