MX - Device utilization degradation after upgrading to MX 18.2

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MX - Device utilization degradation after upgrading to MX 18.2

Hi ,

We are currently upgrading from MX 18.107 to MX 18.211.3.  Upgrade date is sept 26th and devices are MX68CW.

After upgrading 500 networks I noticed a general trend. Device utilization is going up in 80% of our networks. 

Some are more obvious :

RaphaelL_0-1727441090158.png

RaphaelL_1-1727441099381.png

RaphaelL_2-1727441132640.png

RaphaelL_3-1727441144555.png

Anyone else encountered this ? I was expecting a better device utilization not worse 😐

9 Replies 9
SeanW
Here to help

Not related to this issue, but I noticed my test units kept dropping the WAN connection every 24/36 hours. After a downgrade everything has cleared up.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, I saw this and 19.1 seems better, so I have been running that where I can 'risk' a beta.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

oof... I hope I won't encounter major issues. I don't wanna halt my deployement because of that.

henrry81
Here to help

I have seen similar problems and it is surprising that cmr found 19.1 to be better. If you’re okay with getting into beta testing, you might want to give that version a shot.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Little update : This increase of device utilization seems to be caused by the IDS/IPS module. We are running in IDS Security mode. 

More to come.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I upgraded an MX75 running the IDS in security mode from 18.1xx to 19.1 in June and as you can see below the usage didn't really change:

1000012774.jpg

Though looking at it again it might have increased very slightly... I do however remember the increase with 18.2xx being quite marked.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Why not try one site with 19.1, it's been very stable for me since June, which is more than can be said for the MR beta releases... 😬

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Can't do , we do not run beta firmware in production 😔

NFL0NR
Building a reputation

just out of curiosity you might want to call in and check the number of flows going to the device we were having a similar issue and turned out we were flooding the 450 with DNS traffic.  We offloaded the traffic and our numbers are looking MUCH better

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels