Load balancing circuits of different speeds

Craig_Tompkins
Here to help

Load balancing circuits of different speeds

I've read this doc https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/MX_Load_Balancing_and_Flow_Preferen... and see "In the example below, WAN 1 is configured to pass 50Mb/s, and WAN 2 is configured to pass 10Mb/s. Since the download speed ratio is 5/1, for every five flows sent over WAN 1, a single flow will be sent over WAN 2:"
That makes sense to me, but what about if the 2 circuits don't have the same upload as download and the one with the faster download has the slower upload? For example:
WAN1 150down/150up (DIA circuit)
WAN2 500down/35up (Cable modem)
Is WAN2 still going to be used 3.33x more than WAN1? Does the MX take into account the direction of traffic or does it just look at the download speed of each circuit? If so, should I "misconfigure" WAN2 and list it as 35down/35up?

2 Replies 2
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

If you have asymmetrical WAN links then you should hit the ‘details’ link/button next to the WAN speed in the SD-WAN & Traffic Shaping page, and you’ll be able to set the different speeds for the up and down directions. I’m not sure how the MX determines the load balancing ratio when the up and down are split out - my guess would would be it just uses the sum of the two.

Thanks, I've already done that but we plan on taking this location live tomorrow (move from MPLS) so trying to make sure I set it up as best I can rather than trouble shoot later.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels