Is it possible to block only the file sharing capabilities of Viber?

SOLVED
ShadowoftheDark
Getting noticed

Is it possible to block only the file sharing capabilities of Viber?

Hi,

The org that I'm working insists on using viber as the main form of messaging within the office. Even though we have ms teams, most of the people are still using viber. I do not have any problems with it really it's just that I really hate that people are using it as a file sharing option instead of ms teams.

I did manage to block it at the firewall level however, management is asking if we could have it enabled since everyone is using it. I'd like to but I want to block the file sharing option for it.

I sent an email to Viber and they basically told me that this feature is not possible, but I'd like to ask if there's anyone in here that managed to do it.

By the way i blocked viber by blocking it at the l7 at the firewall and blocking the words viber and rakuten at the group policy level. I used to have it only blocked it at the firewall l7 level but some messages still passed thru.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No app control on MX doesn't allow you to filter based on app signatures only the entire app. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Unfortunately it's not possible.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
AlexP
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The only way it might be possible is if the app does any sort of separate peer-to-peer communications for file sharing, or  establishes a session with a distinct subdomain for it, but I've never used the app, so I have no clue on either.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No app control on MX doesn't allow you to filter based on app signatures only the entire app. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels