How is uplink loss calculated MX64 ??

jerfoste
New here

How is uplink loss calculated MX64 ??

I have 1 WAN uplinks

#1. Bonded DSL 

#2. Starlink Dish

I see about 1% loss on my DSL as I am pretty far away from the ISP hop. 

I am seeing higher sometimes 5% or 15% peak in loss from Starlink. 

This is based on the Meraki Dashboard-> Security and SDWAN -> Appliance Status -> Uplink  screen 

When I trouble shoot with other online tools I see about a 1% loss on my DSL

However, on Starlink I see <1% loss but as high as 15% 'late packets' which are at about 200MS latency. 

So I would like to understand how that is calculated so that if loss is represented by these late packets then I know it is a function of the dish.... not a function of a bad cable or interference from something in my attic etc. 

Thank you 

3 REPLIES 3
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I think you want to consider what IP you are measuring against.  It may default to something like 8.8.8.8 which is not an optimal choice in my opinion.  Ideally, you would measure against the default gateway from your ISP so you are only measuring real loss and latency to your next hop and not some unknown and dynamic path across the internet.  It can be changed in the SD-WAN configuration area.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

The loss rates you are seeing are based on a ‘ping’ to the IP address listed just above the graphs on that page. The loss could be at any point between you and the server, or the host you are pinging not responding to the ping in a timely manner. As Brandon said, 8.8.8.8 (which is the default), may not be optimal. As everyone knows, it’s Google’s DNS server, and it’s any anycast address, so depending on the state of Google’s network it could be routed almost anywhere. I’ve seen the latency to 8.8.8.8 jump between 5ms and 25ms depending on the host that is responding.

You can configure additional hosts to ping under the SD-WAN configuration. Whichever hosts you do pick make sure they’re reliable. My own experience has shown that your service provider’s DNS servers aren’t always a good choice as often they’ll happily drop ‘ping’ traffic in preference to serving a DNS request (which is great for DNS requests, not so great if you’re using them to measure link quality/performance). If you’re able to identify a reliable gateway device then that may be the best bet.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels