Having a few issues with a new wifi network

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Having a few issues with a new wifi network

So I am trialing Meraki AP's on a network that curently has Ruckus equipment. I was hoping this could be a simple change over if things went well but I have run into a few odd issues.

1. I have set a static IP via the dashboard however the device will only use DHCP

2. The AP constantly reports misconfigured DNS even though its the same DNS that the Meraki switches use, I have also check for upstream firewall rules and thats not the issue.

3. Apple remote desktop software is having issues with many deivces now reporting authentication issues.

4. Access point is now randomly showing a solid blue light on and appears to have stopped responding with the dashboard even though the dashboard reports it was being online but with the config being out of date.

Overall not a good start to day 1 of this trial....

10 REPLIES 10
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are the Ruckus controllers trying to contain the Meraki AP?  Personally I'd test that AP off-site ASAP in case it is simply faulty. I had misconfigured DNS show for APs when the switch connectivity wasn't good (12.16 on an MS210 L3 stack), are you seeing orange stripea or all orange?

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@cmr  Pretty sure its not the ruckus controller. Connectivity strip is solid orange. I have just factory reset the device as reboot would have the device stuck with a blue LED, Device would respond to ping but seemed to behave oddly i.e. local status page stopped working. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you DHCP everything is it any better?  Is a Meraki switch providing the PoE and what is the cable length/quality?

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Ok I have worked out he DNS issue, co-worker hadn;t configured the DNS server for that subnet.

Access point is currently booted and showing as active in the dashboard however the light on the front is solid blue. Its still using DHCP and not the static address I have set in the dashboard. 

I've been in meetings so haven't had a chance to look into the Apple remote desktop issue further.

@cmr I am using a 0.5 metre patch lead with the AP plugged into a Meraki POE switch. 

I am a little confused about the devices status light, the kbase article shows the light should be green when its online however the product page for the MR33 has a blue light.....

mr33-mantle-1-1.jpg

>light on the front is solid blue

Doesn't blue mean someone is associated to it and using it?  Aka, blue is the "normal" colour when in use.

Ah your right so it does, turns out I was looking at the Meraki Go light guide.... I blame lack of sleep.

What issues are oustanding now?

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

When Static  ip is set  you have the  vlan field empty?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels