Free upgrade to Gigabit on MX100, now what?

SOLVED
mike318
Getting noticed

Free upgrade to Gigabit on MX100, now what?

Our fiber provider is giving us gigabit at no additional cost. We currently have a 200Mbps symmetrical connection. 

I understand with advanced security features enabled I will not likely see anything over 600Mbps (+/- 50Mbps). 

What are my best options? I have a spare MX100 I was considering licensing, then running a load balance scenario. At least that way we can utilize the new bandwidth. 

Of course, upgrading to an MX250 would be nice, but thats planned for about a year down the road from now. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RyanB
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey Mike,

I wouldn't be so sure - I think you'd first want to actually try the new 1Gbps link on your MX100 before making a decision. 

Our sizing guides were traditionally pretty understated, and we will actually be releasing a new one shortly with updated numbers that breaks down expected throughput for different traffic mixes with different firmware.

If I'm looking at real world tests for MX 13 firmware, an MX100 shows as follows (if you're staying within expected number of clients):

Full security enabled (AMP/IPS/Traffic Shaping/Port Forwarding/CF Full/other services): 790Mbps - 950Mbps

Basic Security(AMP/IPS/Content Filtering Top-Sites): 795Mbps - 955Mbps

Basic (NAT/DHCP/L3&L7FW/AutoVPN): 850Mbps - 975Mbps

Watch for this new sizing guide that will have additional details.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

there is always some kind of component in your end-to-end network setup that is faster then another. From 200 to 650 Mbit is already a nice upgrade. I would first monitor the connection if it even hits this speeds of 650Mbit. Lots of companies think the need lots of bandwidth and overall they only use maybe 10% of it. 

RyanB
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey Mike,

I wouldn't be so sure - I think you'd first want to actually try the new 1Gbps link on your MX100 before making a decision. 

Our sizing guides were traditionally pretty understated, and we will actually be releasing a new one shortly with updated numbers that breaks down expected throughput for different traffic mixes with different firmware.

If I'm looking at real world tests for MX 13 firmware, an MX100 shows as follows (if you're staying within expected number of clients):

Full security enabled (AMP/IPS/Traffic Shaping/Port Forwarding/CF Full/other services): 790Mbps - 950Mbps

Basic Security(AMP/IPS/Content Filtering Top-Sites): 795Mbps - 955Mbps

Basic (NAT/DHCP/L3&L7FW/AutoVPN): 850Mbps - 975Mbps

Watch for this new sizing guide that will have additional details.

Bovie2K
Getting noticed

Agreed stay with the MX100 and see what you get before upgrading. You may go right up to the Meraki limited speed on the MX100 and be happy with that.

Roska
A model citizen

Hello RyanB

Is this new sizing guide published now?

Regards,

Oskar

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels