Expanding to a 23 bit subnet max instead of 24 bit.

Solved
Trunolimit2
Conversationalist

Expanding to a 23 bit subnet max instead of 24 bit.

I've got a site that is out of IP addresses. It would be impossible to look through 200+ devices and see what is what.

What are the downsides of just increasing this address space to a /23 and doubling the address pool?

just to give you the size and scope of the site this is a residential install with an MX100, 3 MS 320, 3 MS 225, 2 MS 120, and 2 MS42s. And several MRs 

We have 5 VLANs running. All /24 but our main Data VLAN is about 90 precent used. 

Can I just change the main VLAN to a /23 a new subnet range so that it doesn't overlap with any other VLANS?

Is there anything I should be aware of before making this change?

1 Accepted Solution
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There is no real downside. 

In case you have only 50 devices active, but the scope is 90%full, you could also first look to decrease the dhcp leasetime f.e. if its on 1 day you can put it 8 hours 

In case you really have 200+ active devices i would make it a /23 and combine it with a fw upgrade.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There is no real downside. 

In case you have only 50 devices active, but the scope is 90%full, you could also first look to decrease the dhcp leasetime f.e. if its on 1 day you can put it 8 hours 

In case you really have 200+ active devices i would make it a /23 and combine it with a fw upgrade.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Simply create a new non-overlapping subnet and start moving devices/ports over.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Trunolimit2 : I would recommend to take different and new /23 subnet and move devices.

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels