Enabling WAN1 on MX67 takes the entire site out

SOLVED
Dunky
A model citizen

Enabling WAN1 on MX67 takes the entire site out

I have an MX67 which has been running on an ADSL connection on WAN2 for some time, no problem.

WAN2 is configured for PPPoE, authentication enabled and a static public IP configured.

The primary uplink (under SD-WAN & traffic shaping) is currently set to WAN2

We have now taken delivery of a new fibre circuit to use as the primary connection, on WAN1.

As soon as I configured a static public IP on WAN1 with the gw of the ISP router we lost all connectivity to site.(MX, switches, AP's all red in dashboard).

Even if the ISP router was dud, I dont see how I lost all internet connectivity via WAN2.

I know the WAN1 port is connected:

Dunky_0-1656073425484.png

Am I doing something wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Dunky
A model citizen

OK, so it turns out the ISP had given me the wrong IP addressing.

As soon as I configured the correct IP's in WAN1, site lost connectivity for a minute or so before it call came back up online (even though the primary Uplink was set to WAN2).

Made WAN1 the primary and all is good.

Thanks for the replies.

Steve

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

At sdwan&traffic shaping is your wan2 set as primary?

Maybe it stays connected then and you can find out whats happening at the wan1  port

Dunky
A model citizen

@ww Yes WAN2 is set to primary, which is why I cannot fathom out why it would have gone down.

I am remote from the site btw which doesnt help!

I wanted to prove the new circuit was up before I changed the primary to be WAN1

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have encounted this bug many time. I'm pretty sure we have a case open on that and a fix is confirmed. We are on a holiday , I will try to confirm next sunday !

Dunky
A model citizen

Oh, just great 🙂

Can I ask how you would normally approach getting a WAN1 link up when the MX is sat happily running along on WAN2 with WAN2 set as the Primary link?

Many thanks for your feedback.

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

What version firmware? I've not seen this behavior. I also just tested doing something similar here.

Brought up a MX67C with only a WAN 2 link (and WAN 2 set as primary uplink on traffic shaping page). Then configured static IP for WAN 1 and then connected physical connection. I don't see any disruptions when doing this.

Started with wan1 physically connected but disabled. WAN2 went down as soon as I enabled and configured wan1 (I have a feeling the wan from the isp router is probably down). Even so, there should have been no impact on WAN2.

Toggling enable/disable of a WAN port does do a soft reset (not a reboot) on the MX from what I've always seen. So, connectivity is interrupted briefly.

I can't explain why it would never come back. What's the current status? Site still unreachable? 

The entire site was offline for 20mins. I then set wan1 to disabled in the dashboard and phoned site to power cycle the MX.

It then came back online on the original WAN2 link.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Let's park the Meraki bit for the moment.

What happens if you plug in a notebook and configure it with the settings from the ISP?  Does it work?

My guess is the ISP circuit is not working as expected.  The MX is trying to use it as the primary, and if you wait 5 minutes it will fail back to WAN2.

@PhilipDAth 

I have ask someone onsite to connect their laptop to the ISP kit and test, am waiting for them to get back to me.

I have WAN2 set as the primary uplink, and it went offline for 20mins before I disabled WAN1 and got someone on site to power cycle it which got it back online again.

As this MX is in another country, I really want to try and avoid having to find and pay an in-country provider to attend site and resolve.

鸟不拉屎大王
Just browsing

我遇到和你类似的问题,MX250,主备模式,两条城域网,电信和联通,分别插入WAN1和WAN2,静态IP,VIP虚拟IP,主上行链路设置为WAN2,负载均衡启用,在测试中,当WAN2断线时,理论上这个时候的流量应该会从WAN1出口通信,但实际上WAN2断线会导致整个网络都断网,简直反人类😂在前期测试环境中调整了各种可能的选项反复测试都是如此。

I encountered similar problems with you, MX250, active-standby mode, two metropolitan area networks, telecom and Unicom, insertED WAN1 and WAN2 respectively, static IP, VIP virtual IP, primary uplink set to WAN2, load balancing enabled, in the test, when WAN2 is disconnected, in theory, the traffic at this time should be egress communication from WAN1, but in fact WAN2 disconnection will cause the entire network to be disconnected, which is simply anti-human This is true of the various possible options that were adjusted in the pre-test environment.

Dunky
A model citizen

OK, so it turns out the ISP had given me the wrong IP addressing.

As soon as I configured the correct IP's in WAN1, site lost connectivity for a minute or so before it call came back up online (even though the primary Uplink was set to WAN2).

Made WAN1 the primary and all is good.

Thanks for the replies.

Steve

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels