Client VPN Windows 10

Uvaldo-gm
Just browsing

Client VPN Windows 10

Has anyone had this error before?

"The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during initial negotiations with the remote computer"

Alguien ha tenido este error?

"Error en el intento de conexión L2TP porque el nivel de seguridad encontró un error de proceso durante las negociaciones iniciales con el equipo remoto"

Message from Meraki - April 2, 2020

Hi all. We hope you are all staying safe during these difficult times. One of the results of the current global situation is a large increase in remote work — and a large increase of traffic to this community thread.

Since this thread is a bit old / specific, we wanted to interject here to provide quick links to the most up-to-date information about Meraki VPN. For an overview of our VPN offering, please see our official documentation here. Also, for the latest updates live from the team, please visit this community thread.

Stay safe and be well.

- The Meraki Team

12 REPLIES 12
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I've seen similar but not that exact description.  Are you getting a particular windows error code in the event viewer or the pop-up window?  You could be hitting the 789 error.  There are a few examples outlined here https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Client_VPN/Troubleshooting_Client_VPN and most of the error codes are listed here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/824864/list-of-error-codes-for-dial-up-connections-or-vpn-c...

I'm with @MerakiDave on it being the 789 error.

I have also had this error by using a PSK that was too complex.  I don't know which, some some special characters just don't work on all clients.

If in doubt, make your PSK simple, like "password".  If that works then you know it is this issue and you can start making it more complex.

I'm gonna try, my PSK is "123"

Hey folks,

Quick note to let you know that Windows 10 seem to have the horrible tendency of removing the security option every time you disconnect from VPN, reboot your PC, do updates, click the mouse on the Desktop or look away from the screen. 

Make sure you have "Require encryption" selected and under "Allow these protocols:" tick "Unencrypted password (PAP)"

This should theoretically help as well.

Thanks!

Giac

Please keep in mind that what I post here is my personal knowledge and opinion. Don't take anything I say for the Holy Grail, but try and see!
Appreciate who helps and be respectful of every opinion and every solution offered.
Share the love, especially the Meraki one!
Haydn
Getting noticed

I think we had to allow PAP authentication on our Radius server to get past this error

I get no Radius server, i'm using Meraki Auth

Hernan
Conversationalist

Good day!

Just want to share this method its applicable on W10 user's i just recently apply this to one of our client.

On your VPN network settings check allow these protocols and check Unencrypted Password (PAP)

On the Windows 10 machine, open the registry and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PolicyAgent, make a new DWORD 32 bit value, call it AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule, give it a value of 2, then reboot the Windows 10 machine.  It should connect just fine.

This one works for me

LHPT
Conversationalist

This worked for me after 4 hours of every other solution attempt. Thank you Hernan

Could you post a picture of this d-word as I'm not sure how to assign a value of 2. I've created the d-word but that is it.

Looks like I figured it out but still no connection

CashG
Getting noticed

Check to see if both the IKE and IPec services are running? I had one where the IKE service was not running. 

Murph
Conversationalist

@Hernan wrote:

Good day!

Just want to share this method its applicable on W10 user's i just recently apply this to one of our client.

On your VPN network settings check allow these protocols and check Unencrypted Password (PAP)

On the Windows 10 machine, open the registry and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PolicyAgent, make a new DWORD 32 bit value, call it AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule, give it a value of 2, then reboot the Windows 10 machine.  It should connect just fine.

This one works for me

Spent some hefty time on this, could get Android to work but not Win10 Machine.....Thank you

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels