Solved
Roey1984
Building a reputation

Cisco Meraki MX75 - Primary ISP Failover

Hi there,

We're using a Cisco Meraki MX75 router with a dual ISP configuration:

• Primary ISP: 200/200 Mbps (Active)
  • Secondary ISP: 50/50 Mbps (Ready)

We're planning to permanently disconnect the primary ISP and rely solely on the secondary.

My question is: When the primary ISP is disconnected, will the Meraki dashboard automatically switch traffic to the secondary line, or will we need to manually designate it as the primary?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Roey1984_1-1714915340005.png

1 Accepted Solution
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

5 Replies 5
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

automatically

Roey1984
Building a reputation

Good to hear!

Thank you so much!

Roey1984
Building a reputation

Hey

Quick qestion.

Are you sure it will automatically switch?

A friend just told me the following:

The Cisco Meraki MX75 will not automatically switch traffic to the secondary line when the primary ISP is disconnected. You will need to manually designate the secondary ISP as the primary in the Meraki dashboard.

• Meraki MX75 supports features like load balancing and failover, but these require configuration. By default, traffic flows through the primary WAN connection (200/200 Mbps in your case).
  • Disconnecting the primary ISP simply removes the connection, it doesn't trigger a switch to the secondary.

Roey1984_0-1714920658887.png

AMP
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@Roey1984  The MX will auto failover to the secondary WAN link when the primary link goes down. This is explained in detail in this KB article:
https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/Connection_Monitoring_for_WAN_Failo...

Knowledge is power
Roey1984
Building a reputation

Ok 

Thank you 

I thought this mysw but my friend got me confused 

Thank you for providing the link, appreciated 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels