Block WhatsApp for PC but allow phones to continue to use it

RCaldicott
Getting noticed

Block WhatsApp for PC but allow phones to continue to use it

Hi Guys,

I need to be able to block the online version of WhatsApp for PC but allow the phones to continue to use the app. I have read lots on blocking ports but that doesn't appear to work well as other services use the same ports as WA.

Anyone else managed to work around this?

Thanks

Rich

6 REPLIES 6
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

That would fall under the "Internet Communications" category in the Content Filtering page of the MX.

Enthusiast
SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

Possibly your endpoint security solution has a way to block it

Have you tried just blocking web.whatsapp.com with url blocking in Security & SD-WAN > Content Filtering ?

@RCaldicott  You need to block whatsapp using application rules rather than blocking ports. What this does is looks for the app signature that whatsapp uses and blocks the traffic this way. 

@BlakeRichardson wrote:

@RCaldicott  You need to block whatsapp using application rules rather than blocking ports. What this does is looks for the app signature that whatsapp uses and blocks the traffic this way. 

Thanks, tried this but it blocks the phones on all SSID's too which is annoying. EndPoint policies ticked the box though. Thank you.

@SoCalRacer wrote:

Possibly your endpoint security solution has a way to block it

Thank you! Didn't even occur to me to do this. 😄

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels