Block WhatsApp media download for PC & Mobile but allow chat

Mahadevan
Conversationalist

Block WhatsApp media download for PC & Mobile but allow chat

I need a specific requirement to allow all users allow to chat in WhatsApp to deny media download

3 REPLIES 3
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

That's not possible with anything Meraki afaik. In fact if I'm not mistaken whatsapp is encrypted end-to-end, so I'm not sure it's even technically possible to distinguish between the two.

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

You could try traffic shaping the whatsapp data and reduce bandwidth to a crawl that will allow chat/text, but not media download.

DillonofAnch17
Getting noticed

@Mahadevan So let me see if I get your actual use case. You want to allow users to chat in application but not call or video chat? 

-If that is the case you could possibly do some layer7 rules around video and WhatsApp just by reading packet captures of where the individual data is going. In my experience video goes to a different end https:// xx server then chat. 

Let me know if you need help dissecting the captures. Feel free to direct message me if you don't want to share the captures wifely. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels