AutoVPN and DSL

TimBisel
Getting noticed

AutoVPN and DSL

I have a couple of sites that are in the middle of nowhere and still need to connect back and T1 connections are not a possibility. Everytime it rains or wind blows out AutoVPN is disconnecting. This is an issues with 5 location and I would really like to find a solution.

Question 1. Is there recommended settings or a way to approach this to try and see if I can get better stability? Logs saying it disconnected for unknown reason.

Question 2. on a MX65 would I be able to bond two DSL connections on the WAN side to give me enough speed to accommodate the overhead for a VPN connection? Seems like our DSL lines are the main issues we have with our AutoVPN site to site connections.

4 REPLIES 4
Adam
Kind of a big deal

If DSL is unreliable at the sites I'm not sure even bonded would help.  Can you connect LTE to the MX as a backup to cover those small blips?

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
Ben
A model citizen

As @Adam says when DSL is unreliable it doesn't really help binding them.

This would not make them more reliable or they would have to go out one at a time perhaps.. 

Question 1. => LTE 

TimBisel
Getting noticed

Possibility of me getting a good enough LTE signal is doubtful at best. Most of these sites are in the mountains. I am not 100% sold on it being a blip and not something else. I have received alert emails honestly with 12 events all at same time stamp of the site going up, up, up, down, down, up, down, down, etc. But log into dashboard and its showing a solid green line and no reports of losing connection.

So I guess is the AutoVPN heartbeat short enough to go up/down 4-5 times without the dashboard seeing a disconnect? Could it be that the blips are fast enough to get hit by VPN time out but not dashboard?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Considering the situation @TimBisel, I think I would deploy a satellite connection to backup the DSL (or perhaps make the satellite connection the primary since it will be more reliable and use DSL as the backup).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels