Security license pit fall

Solved
speakerfritz
A model citizen

Security license pit fall

I have had the free openDNS home network account for over 20 years.  The features and settings are identical to the options in the Cisco Meraki go security license.  But..I bought the license anyway for integration into the Meraki go firewall.

well…at the end of the year I decided not to renew and just use the free version I had for 20 years.

well…aparently that is not possible..once your security license expires…Cisco blocks your network from using the free version of openDNS.  

so you are basically trapped into renewing the security license….which has a lot of hoops to find a supplier..get them to process the order…and then go thru the add key activation.

nothing is simple anymore

1 Accepted Solution

Meraki go support got back to me on the 2nd ticket

they said they checked and the license key was in fact visable on their system…but it wasn’t applied.  After getting “applied” the security function on the fix-50 worked.

PayPal dispute against the seller cancelled.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11
speakerfritz
A model citizen

Rhino website…where I bought the license last year would not let me buy it…said I was not authorized to use the site

30 minutes later I found it on b&h web site and handed over my 108 plus 8 tax

that gives me a year to figure out how to get my free openDNS back 

jesseb514
Here to help

I feel like I've heard several reports of the security license being hard to renew. Is there a plan to transition this to a new SKU, is the functionality going away, etc.? That's interesting that you've been blocked from using free.

speakerfritz
A model citizen

I had to search for a seller using the part number.  The previous source of purchase said I was not authorized to use the site.  

bought it at b&h photo.

no amazon n sellers

phooey

speakerfritz
A model citizen

Got the license key at 6pm

tried to load it and the Meraki go website is so bogged down that when you try to load the key you get internal server error

tried to open a ticket for help and the support ticket function also just hangs

Networks if 500gb and everything else works with no latency

huess I’ll try again tonight when America is a sleep

speakerfritz
A model citizen

License key loaded 

no waiting for all the hand shakes so that I can see the settings in my browser.

Eating pop corn

3am

key not applied yet

ticket submitted to have verification key was loaded properly

Response from support was that it has to be loaded at web portal (which I did) and that they don’t see the license.

back to square one

Second ticket opened

first ticket was closed with a link to me on how to go to the portal and add the license key.

new ticket makes it clear I properly added the key on the web portal

front end web portal and back end processing has a problem

and..the front end web portal will not let me add the key again

sellers says talk to cisco

im going to play this game for another day…then have my card company reverse the charges

Sellers says it’s Cisco’s problem

Isco just provided basic how to add the license instructions and did not check their back end

this monkey business has been going on for 30 hours 

PayPal dispute filed for a refund

Meraki go support got back to me on the 2nd ticket

they said they checked and the license key was in fact visable on their system…but it wasn’t applied.  After getting “applied” the security function on the fix-50 worked.

PayPal dispute against the seller cancelled.

hidden0
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hey @speakerfritz  and @jesseb514 

We apologize for this experience. It is clearly not the intended outcome we want. I'll review the cases in question and be sure we're doing all we can to solve this problem long term.

Contacting support is almost always the right play when facing umbrella license issues for the GX product. If we cannot see the key, we can also verify if the key you have is legitimate or not.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.