What happens to an RMA device

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What happens to an RMA device

I had a bunch of MS225 that were RMA'd awhile ago with a fan issue. I was going through our asset inventory and just for a laugh tried adding the returned unit into my inventory to see what would happen.

The Serial number was available as could be added, now I backed off at this point but it got me thinking. When a device is returned via RMA and repaired is the same serial kept or is a new serial number generated? 

Or is the old unit simply sitting in a warehouse somewhere gathering dust before it gets recycled? 

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I believe that the serial number is only changed if the logic board is changed, if it is another component such as fans, the serial number is maintained.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>adding the returned unit into my inventory to see what would happen

Try adding it to a network and see what happens.  That is the real test.  A device serial number can sit in multiple orgs inventory but can only exist in a single network globally.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth 

>A device serial number can sit in multiple orgs inventory but can only exist in a single network globally.

Really?  Once a serial is claimed it can only surely exist in one Org?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@DarrenOC you will find that you can add an already claimed device to another org, you just can't add it to a network.  It also means that if you leave unused devices in the inventory, but not in a network, someone else can potentially claim them!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.