Windows-Specific MDM Resources

Solved
nbv
Here to help

Windows-Specific MDM Resources

Is there any MDM documentation specifically for Windows devices? We use iOS, macOS, and Windows at my workplace but run Windows on more than 90% of the machines. Most of the documentation I have found seems to tack Windows information at the bottom of the page. The information is lean compared to something like iOS profile and software deployment and feels a bit like an afterthought. Windows devices feel a bit neglected. Even posting this, there are labels for iOS, macOS, Android, and even Chrome OS but not one for Windows. I have a good amount of experience in SCCM and JamfPro from my previous job that has helped me along but I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to finding documentation.

Does anybody have good documentation for deploying to Windows? Best practices? Are people using alternatives to Systems Manager for Windows provisioning?

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

IMHO, Systems Manager has weak support for Windows and always has.  It is really hard to use Systems Manager to manage Windows 10 machines.  It's been like this for years.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

IMHO, Systems Manager has weak support for Windows and always has.  It is really hard to use Systems Manager to manage Windows 10 machines.  It's been like this for years.

That's a bit of a shame considering how large Windows is in Enterprise environments. That being said, This is a good enough answer for me. I was hoping for some other answers but this seems to be a tough topic.

There are definitely some tricks I've picked up over the years that can get us fully (or at least nearly) automated. It'll probably involve some clever scripting. Considering this is such a lightly touched on topic, I might make a public page somewhere with my experiences to help other people in the same boat. Thanks!

IT_Magician
Building a reputation

You are 100% correct. We are trying to do two basic things with Windows MDM:

1. Push out a MSI

2. Have MDM provision a Sentry VPN

For the MSI, Meraki only downloads 16kb of the 41MB file so the MSI does not install. For Sentry VPN, it asks a handful of Windows users for a username and password. Blows my mind this doesn't work as advertised.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels