Wi-Fi Profile is Lost/Disconnects

JP83
Comes here often

Wi-Fi Profile is Lost/Disconnects

Hi!

I have a question for you that I"m hoping your can help me with.

We have been using DEP and Apple Configurator (and GroundControl) with Meraki MDM to manage all of our iPads for some time now.

We always upload a Wi-Fi profile in Apple Configurator/GroundControl so that all of the iPads go through the DEP process successfully.

We are having this issue that occurs after the iPads finish going through the DEP process. When get to the iPads home screen, all of the apps that we have added in Meraki start downloading. After a few seconds in the process of apps downloading, the Wi-Fi network disconnects by itself and the Wi-Fi settings are wiped out.

1. can you explain to me why the Wi-Fi settings are erased/wiped out?

2. is there a way to prevent this from happening and leaving the Wi-Fi settings intact?

Thank you.

15 Replies 15
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@JP83 You need to make sure that you have a wifi profile in the MDM as well, wifi profiles loaded using configurator to enrol a device in DEP will uninstall after setup is complete.

It's also best practise to have wifi settings in their own profile and not combined with any other settings.

@BlakeRichardsonI forgot to mention that we already have a Wi-Fi profile in the MDM. It is separate profile from the main restrictions profile.  The only other items included in the Wi-Fi profile are the security certs necessary to connect to the Wi-Fi.

Even with the Wi-Fi profile in place in the MDM, the Wi-Fi still disconnects and is removed.  As soon as "built-in" iPad apps finish downloading and the apps from the MDM start downloading, this occurs.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

ekramer
Getting noticed

It sounds like your Wifi config should be in your enrollment profile with your restrictions, and not in an additional (later) configuration profile.  Or switch your restrictions and Wifi profiles (instead of combining them) so Wifi comes first, and then restrictions.

JP83
Comes here often

@ekramerRight now, we have a Wi-Fi profile that is included with Apple Configurator when we supervise iPads.  Then we have a restrictions profile and a wi-fi profile in Meraki that gets downloaded onto the iPads after they've been supervised.  Is this the way it should be?

Are you saying that I should have the Wi-fi profile and restrictions profile as on in Apple Configurator or are you saying I should have the wi-fi profile and restrictions profile combined into one?  If it's the latter, then we already tried that and the same thing occurs.

ekramer
Getting noticed

Respectfully, I will bow out of this discussion because I have no knowledge of Ground Control and how it integrates with Meraki as you MDM.  I don't see a direct reference to them in the Ground Control > Integration page.  There may be a conflict there.  I'm used to DEP enrollment (https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Device_Enrollment/Apple_Device_Enrollment_Program_(DEP)) which is a little more automatic.

JP83
Comes here often

@ekramerAt the moment we are not using GroundControl. We are using Apple Configurator with DEP and Meraki.

JP83
Comes here often

Update:

See images below.

screenshot1 is the screenshot of General > VPN & Device Management > Meraki System Manager > More Details.  As you can see, after a freshly-supervised iPad, the iPad successfully downloads the Meraki profile and it included the Wi-Fi settings and the SSL certificates.

screenshot1.jpg

After a few minutes, when the apps start downloading from Meraki, the Wi-Fi settings and the Certificates disappear:

screenshot2.jpg

I am not sure what else to do or check.  Does anyone have any ideas what to try next?

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you 100% sure you have scoped the wifi profile to the devices, if you go to the settings and scroll down you should see a list of devices included in the scope. 

@BlakeRichardsonYes, I'm 100% sure. I just checked now and all of our iPads are included in the scope.

Hi @JP83 ,

We are having exactly the same issue following enrollment to DEP / Meraki via apple configurator - the iPad disconnects from the WiFi and does not pick up the WiFi settings we configured within Meraki.  If we manually reconnect it, it is fine but this is, as you know, inconvenient.  Did you ever get to the bottom of the issue by any chance?

JP83
Comes here often

Hi @RAJartech ,

I'm afraid not. We never found a fix for this issue.  We are doing what we can go "get by" or around this issue.

If you do find a resolution to this issue, please let me know!

Thanks for the reply. How frustrating. This should be more straight forward surely. I will keep you posted if I get to the bottom of it. 

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@JP83  If you try manually connecting the device to wifi and leave it a few minutes does it then obtain the correct settings?

PaulF
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello all. I have been plagued by this since, well.... Forever. And it seems this is a problem with iOS removing the Apple Configurator installed WiFi profile as the device unrolls into MDM (not just Systems Manager but any MDM)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253842614?sortBy=best

So, how can you avoid this

The issue is a race condition: Because so many things are going on (apps, profiles, restrictions, etc) at the time of enrollment (and this is exacerbated if you have a profile that has multiple payloads (don't do this!)), the wifi config is removed before the new one is installed. So, there's several things you can do

1. Do NOT embed your wifi payload within a profile that has multiple payloads. Keep your WiFi profile separate

2. Consider a staged approach to enrollment: as you're using a manual process to enroll devices already, have your wifi profile set to ALL Devices, but for everything else (apps, other profiles), have them set to a tag that is either added to the device manually after enrollment, or using web hooks and some coding, automatically

But, the issue is that Apple remove the profile, and there's so much going on, the WiFi settings are removed before the new one is installed

Hope that helps

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

@JP83 I know I'm a bit late to this party but I'm curious if you are using the same or different wireless networks and the iPads drop.

My experience has been to utilize two different wireless networks which seems to help the iPads not forget the wireless password. I use a network for setup and then Meraki pushes the iPad on the network I want the iPads to use which seems to resolve the iPads dropping off.

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels