User Data Privacy in Supervised iOS

SOLVED
Aryan
Conversationalist

User Data Privacy in Supervised iOS

Hi

I am going to receive a supervised iPhone 12 mini from my employer. I want to know what user data can be accessed by the IT? Can they access photos, whatsapp chats, emails, messages which are in my iphone? 

Thanks!

Aryan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
EncinitasMatt
Here to help

An MDM like Meraki System's Manager only controls certain settings and app installations.  Your employer can not remotely access any user or app data.  They also can not remotely view your screen.  But they will be able to tell what apps are installed, if they allow you to install your own apps that is.

If they have physical possession of the iPhone, then they can clear your lock code and get full access to your device and data.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
EncinitasMatt
Here to help

An MDM like Meraki System's Manager only controls certain settings and app installations.  Your employer can not remotely access any user or app data.  They also can not remotely view your screen.  But they will be able to tell what apps are installed, if they allow you to install your own apps that is.

If they have physical possession of the iPhone, then they can clear your lock code and get full access to your device and data.

Hi 

Thanks a lot for your reply. Is there any document by apple which shows details of what all can be see by IT in supervised iphone? 

Thanks again. 

tinkushal

What if iphone mail address also has been set as company outlook address, then can IT department monitor or reach somehow to my personal data like messages, photos, special mails and etc.? 

PaulF
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi There. So, firstly, you can browse through here: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/devicemanagement/commands_and_queries to determine what your employer can and cannot see

However, keeping this much more simpler.... photos, whatsapp chats, emails, messages are NOT available to any MDM. This is the user data most likely to be available

Persistent device IDs (serial number, MAC address, IMEI)

Phone data (amount of data used, phone number, IMSI / ICCID, etc)

apps installed. They cannot see if these are in use, however

Profiles installed

Certificates installed

If you are worried about any of the above, I suggest you have a conversation with your employer and discuss your concerns. MDM has been around for nearly 20 years and is used by millions of people around the word. It cannot be used for getting access to your personal data. And it was never intended to do so.

Hi PaulF, than you very much to your comments about my privacy concerns... 

I wonder if they can reach to my iCloud since the mail address of iphone is also my company mail address? 

No. They can’t. And you can change your iCloud account email address at any time. 

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Aryan  If you are concerned about your employer being able to see whats on the device I suggest you only use the device for business reasons and get a seperate personal device if you are that concerned. 

It's possible they could have the device tied to a content filtering system so that web traffic is monitored even if you are working remotely. 

Thanks for your reply. Do you mean like a vpn installed on phone? 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels