Tanium. Anybody ever successfully pushed this client to a Macbook with Meraki?

mrjrtykr
Comes here often

Tanium. Anybody ever successfully pushed this client to a Macbook with Meraki?

We use a product called Tanium for asset management.  There is a macOS client and I would like to be able to push it to all macOS devices.

So far, i'm not having much luck. 

Anyone out there ever successfully done this?

5 Replies 5
PaulF
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Have you seen: https://community.meraki.com/t5/Mobile-Device-Management/HOWTO-Package-files-scripts-and-apps-togeth...

The important thing is to ensure that you know the bundle ID for the macOS software, else SM will try to install repeatedly, because it will never know that it installed correctly (by design)

For Windows: https://community.meraki.com/t5/Mobile-Device-Management/HOWTO-Package-files-for-deployment-to-windo...

mrjrtykr
Comes here often

@PaulF 

Thanks for the link.  I've reviewed it and, while i'm reasonably proficient in terminal and was able to create a package, the install errors out.  I suspect it may be due to the fact that the Tanium client is not a silent install and you are prompted for permission to install by the macOS.

The normal command line installer runs a shell script that executes a PKG file.  It requires the presence of a .DAT file.

I tried the PList option putting both files in contents.  I tried creating a DMG that contained both files.

I'd been told by a Meraki engineer a long time ago that Meraki couldn't install a macOS app unless it was a silent install.

PaulF
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Whilst this is true, if you're building your own packages, you may be able to accept prompts on the user's behalf.

This is a post install script I created a few years ago to install CaptureOne

#!/bin/bash

dmgPath="/tmp/CaptureOne12.Mac.12.1.4.dmg"
mountPath="/Volumes/Capture One 12"

/usr/bin/expect<<EOF
		spawn /usr/bin/hdiutil attach "$dmgPath" -nobrowse -quiet
		expect ":"
		send -- "G"
		expect ""
		send -- "\n"
		expect "Agree Y/N?"
		send -- Y\n"
		expect EOF
EOF

if [[ -e "$mountPath" ]]
	then
		cp -r "$mountPath"/"Capture One 12.app" /Applications/"Capture One 12.app"
fi

umount "$mountPath"

rm -rf "$dmgPath"

exit 0

You'll note that you can accept various prompts

I'd reach out to Tanium and ask for help here, but if you can get the prompting working you may be on the home straight

PaulF
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

mrjrtykr
Comes here often

Great info.  I fear you've exceeded my programming knowledg.  😋

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels