Sever check after boot but before unlock

ISNWAdmin
Conversationalist

Sever check after boot but before unlock

I've noticed I'm unable to send commands to devices or get device location updates on Android devices after they boot but before they've been unlocked. Our devices all have passwords on them (required) - until they are unlocked after booting, they seem to not communicate with the MDM servers. Is that what others have experienced / is that intentional - or should I be able to issue commands (e.g. reset passcode/wipe passcode, wipe device) and get GPS location as long as the device is turned on even if it hasn't been unlocked since booting?

I had this issue before with a different MDM and they were able to update their system to have the devices at least check-in with the servers when initially rebooted - so it should be possible. 

My devices are set up as zero-touch enrollment fully managed devices.

3 Replies 3
ISNWAdmin
Conversationalist

I'm still having this same experience - unable to do anything with a phone before its first unlock after booting. 

This is a huge loophole in the whole device management platform. Any ability to remotely wipe, secure, or locate a device is instantly thwarted by rebooting the device - rendering the management platform useless. For instance, if a phone is stolen - all someone has to do is reboot the phone and the phone can no longer be tracked/located for recovery or wiped to prevent data loss and provide compliance. 

Hey @ISNWAdmin,

I'm thinking this is due to the Meraki SM app not starting up until the device's onboard storage has been decrypted (which is done by entering the passcode). Out of curiosity so I can provide feedback to the SM team, what device(s) are you experiencing this with? (e.g. Samsung S22, Google Pixel 6)

ISNWAdmin
Conversationalist

We are currently using Google Pixel 6's and Moto G Stylus (2022). I received confirmation on a ticket I submitted about this issue that it is the intended behavior currently of the app - however - it's a big flaw in the performance and usage of the systems manager. Considering other MDM's (e.g. ManageEngine) have been able to accomplish at least one server sync on boot, it's not impossible to do on Android. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels