Rapid Security Response version of iOS/iPadOS and macOS

Cody357
Conversationalist

Rapid Security Response version of iOS/iPadOS and macOS

The MDM is not displaying the full version of the iOS for iPhones and iPads. Specifically, it does not display Rapid Security Response version of iOS/iPadOS and macOS. This is an issue and prevents admins from ensuring that the managed devices are fully patched and protected. Most of my devices are on 16.4.1(a), but the "(a)" version designation is not shown.

Is there a setting that can be updated or is the a short-coming of the Meraki MDM?

MDM ScreenshotMDM Screenshot

6 Replies 6
PaulF
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I've fed this back to product management for you

Richard_W
A model citizen

I wonder if this is an issue with Apple too, in ARD (Apple Remote Desktop) I don't see the designation either. On the machine, I do (new MacOS 13.3.1(a) and even the build 22E772610a).

MattMorg
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Thank you for reporting this.

I just looked into this. I performed the OSUpdate on some iOS devices via SM and then looked at their raw MDM responses before and after. What's interesting about this Rapid Security Response OSUpdate: the BuildVersion and OSVersion reported by the device via MDM requests appears the same before and after this update. After my device was on 16.4.1(a) locally it still reported OS information via MDM commands like this: 

"BuildVersion"=>"20E252"

"OSVersion"=>"16.4.1"

SM periodically sends MDM commands for this information to keep its information updated in Dashboard, but it looks like the devices have identical BuildVersion and OSVersion reported via MDM after this specific 16.4.1(a) Rapid Security Response update. I can see 16.4.1(a) locally on the device in Settings, but via the MDM command its raw response is still just "16.4.1" (which is why SM shows the value like this in Meraki Dashboard). 

Since this is the first Rapid Security Response OSUpdate on iOS there may still be some kinks to work out-- we will be sharing feedback with Apple to help improve this for future updates. Thank you for bringing this up!

Cody357
Conversationalist

I did find that if I drilled down to the phone properties, the OS did reflect the "(a)" in the version, just not in the dashboard grid list.
2023-05-11 07_46_14-Window.png
I also found that there is no way to set a policy for the RSR version:
2023-05-11 14_36_20-Window.png

There's actually two new keys from Apple which SM will be adding to collect via MDM for these Rapid Security Response versions: SupplementalBuildVersion and SupplementalOSVersionExtra. At the the moment, SM is not collecting these which is why only OSVersion is shown as just 16.4.1. Once we have these new keys we will be able to show iOS 16.4.1(a) as the installed OS version, as well as use it for security policies. I have provided our team this information and we intend to add this shortly. Thanks for the feedback here @Cody357 ! 

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This is great to see a concern raised and Meraki staff coming up with a fix so quickly. This is why I love this community and Meraki products. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels