Changing System Name for DEP Enrolled iPad in Systems Manager

SOLVED
dbelliss
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Changing System Name for DEP Enrolled iPad in Systems Manager

I see that I can change the "Name" for an iPad in system manager using the devices tab, however I would like to also change the "System Name". Is this possible in Systems Manager for a supervised device?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@BlakeRichardson Not true. You can push out names to iPads through the Dashboard. 

There are two restrictions in settings which control this and in iOS 13 there was supposed to be a way to keep the name up to date without having to have Allow modification of device name enabled.

Allow modification of device name

Keep device name up-to-date with Dashboard

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@dbelliss  changing the device name in systems manager will only change the name within Meraki. Apple don't allow MDMs to change the devices hostname, this still needs to be manually done on the device.

@BlakeRichardson Not true. You can push out names to iPads through the Dashboard. 

There are two restrictions in settings which control this and in iOS 13 there was supposed to be a way to keep the name up to date without having to have Allow modification of device name enabled.

Allow modification of device name

Keep device name up-to-date with Dashboard

Got it, thank you!

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

@dbelliss Here is where you setup the forced name changes in settings:

namechange.PNG

I stand corrected, nice one @vassallon very handy to know. 

@BlakeRichardson After allowing students to name their iPads for one year it was decided they couldn't handle it so we now push out names to all student iPads.

Noah_Salzman
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Any creative names they came up with that you can share here? 🙂

The creative ones weren't the issue, it was the ones that weren't school appropriate.

Especially when they started airdropping with those names. 

But according to this info, I would need to allow modification, set the name through dashboard and disallow modification again.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-31 um 23.23.29.png

Or do you guys have a workflow to share? We would like to set device names to users username automatically 🙂 and they shouldn't be able to modify it.

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

@beks88 

With iOS 13, Apple has created a way to update the name with the Allow modification of device name restriction in place.

I passed along this information to @Noah_Salzman but as far as I know it has not been implemented yet. Hopefully soon.....

So yes, the workflow we have to use for now, is to allow modification, set the name through dashboard, get the iPad to check into Meraki, update the name and disallow modification again.

Noah_Salzman
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Correct, not implemented. I've added it to the list, but I consider it low-priority at this time.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels