Android wallpaper management issues

Shany
Getting noticed

Android wallpaper management issues

I am using Device owner mode on my Android device and am experiencing issues managing wallpapers on this device.

Administrator has set the wallpaper and all devices have the correct wallpaper applied.
However, when a device user randomly changes the wallpaper, the wallpaper changes.

Users also can't roll back wallpapers set by administrators.

Also, the SM does not recognize the changed wallpaper and the device does not use the wallpaper set by the admin until the admin changes the settings and sends the profile again.

There is a 'disallow set wallpaper' item in Google's Android MDM profile, which seems to prevent the above issue.
https://developer.android.com/reference/android/os/UserManager#DISALLOW_SET_WALLPAPER

However, SM does not seem to have this feature, and when I contacted TAC about this issue, I received a response that SM do not currently support this feature.

Other MDM vendors seem to support this feature fine... I don't know why SM doesn't support it.

3 Replies 3
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Maybe it will help you.

Solved: Re: Setting Android wallpaper issues - The Meraki Community

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
ConnorL
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

At this time, the wallpaper payload only allows the push of wallpaper but does not allow the wallpaper to be restricted. 

You can re-push the wallpaper profile by going to SM > Devices > *click device* and scroll down to Profiles and select the "Reinstall" button. This should re-push the wallpaper to the device.

ConnorL_0-1718707782487.png

Shany
Getting noticed

@ConnorL 

Hi ConnorL

The problem I'm having is that SM can't restrict wallpaper changes, so users can change wallpapers arbitrarily.
Also, the dashboard doesn't give any information about which device changed the wallpaper.

Also, even if we identify the device and  re-push the profile, the wallpaper is not restored.
One way to get the wallpaper back to original is to change the URL of the wallpaper settings and then push the profile.

My experience is that when a device receives a push, it only applies the changes made within the profile.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels