Android Tablet - brightness falls to lowest setting automatically

Yvan_SVELTUS
Conversationalist

Android Tablet - brightness falls to lowest setting automatically

I have 20 android tablets/samrtphones, some Samsung and some Xiaomi, configured with Meraki MDM kiosk mode. Occasionally, the tablets' brightness setting will automatically fall to its lowest setting by itself (kiosk mode prevents users from changing brightness). This requires IT staff to manually disable kiosk mode to increase the brightness on each tablet. Sometimes, when increasing the brightness, the slider will again fall to its lowest setting immediately. This stops temporarily if you enter display settings and turn the Eye Comfort Shield on and off. Adaptive brightness is disabled, eye comfort shield is disabled, and battery saver is disabled. Has anyone else experienced this kind of issue?

10 REPLIES 10
dhub
Conversationalist

Yes!  We have around 80 Samsung (Tab A 8, SM-T290) tablets that are doing the same thing.  Very frustrating, it makes the tablets pretty tough to use.

The last post on this thread is a work around but it doesn't seem to last for long: https://community.meraki.com/t5/Mobile-Device-Management/Issues-with-App-in-Kiosk-Mode/m-p/152852

Yvan_SVELTUS
Conversationalist

As a workaround I installed an app from the playstore to manage the bightness and allowed it in kiosk mode.

dhub
Conversationalist

Good idea, thanks for the suggestion.

Can you tell me which app you're using ? I'm currently looking for one but I can't find a good brightness app.

ABAERC
Comes here often

Ok so I've found an app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nu.lower.brightness&hl=en_US&gl=US) who do the job but I still got some device that go to 1% brightness randomly, and the app can't change it. 

Because of that I've watch the profile configuration and found this 

ABAERC_1-1658139466590.png

I've setup the brightness to 90%, and I will see if it's allright after that.

Jacob_IT
New here

Having the same issue here - Meraki support say it's something that they are aware of and looking into but with all these things, not sure when it's going to get resolved (if it will at all!) 

dhub
Conversationalist

I erased one of my devices yesterday and Systems Manager 5.8.7 was installed when I re-enrolled.  So far I haven't had issues with the tablet staying dim.  Any one know of a way to force the update of System Manager?

PaulF
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Systems Manager supports the ability to prioritize apps with different App Store update policies:

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 12.42.54 PM.png

This should get the SM app updated just as quick as possible.

PaulF
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Now supported in android SM app version 3.8.4 is the ability to set the brightness. Have a look at Systems manager > Settings > Android Kiosk:

Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 5.28.07 PM.png

dhub
Conversationalist

Thank you!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels