getDeviceLiveToolsPing reliability?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

getDeviceLiveToolsPing reliability?

How reliable do you find getDeviceLiveToolsPing()?

I'm using it in a script.  I request a ping with:

PingResponse = dashboard.devices.createDeviceLiveToolsPing(mxSerial,storeSubnet+"220",count=1)

And then I have a loop doing a time.sleep(1) until Response["status"]=="complete" calling:

Response = dashboard.devices.getDeviceLiveToolsPing(mxSerial,PingResponse["pingId"])

Some nights the scripts runs without issue.  Tonight, the ping never gets out of the status "new".  I don't get any errors.  I won't be exceeding the special rate limit on this API call.

3 Replies 3
seb90
Here to help

The loop to query the results can be avoided by using the webhook callback function. This would already reduce the API calls.

Also changes have been made to the API endpoint. "This endpoint has a sustained rate limit of one request every five seconds per device, with an allowed burst of five requests." In my opinion, these changes limit the endpoint enormously.

See also here: https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api-v1/create-device-live-tools-ping/

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>by using the webhook callback function

Not really possible when it's a script that could be run by several different people.

That's true, of course, but it would also be the easiest way to save API calls.

The actual problem in this case is probably the following:
"This endpoint has a sustained rate limit of one request every five seconds per device, with an allowed burst of five requests."

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.