Reliable VPN client for Meraki MX?

SOLVED
aboyd
Here to help

Reliable VPN client for Meraki MX?

Greetings All,

What would be the most reliable VPN client to use with a Meraki MX?  I've been hearing rumors that AnyConnect support is coming, but I am in a position where I cannot deliver that message to my leadership.  The native Windows VPN client has been unreliable at best. 

What are some of the other options out there that you have had success with?

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MattLeMoo
Conversationalist

Hi there,

I have found that if you use the old VPN shortcut,

i.e. C:\Users\mattq\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk Rasphone.bpk

I add the rasphone shortcut to the users desktop and then we haven't had any issues since.

hope it helps!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hang in there @aboyd, AnyConnect is no longer a rumor, however I do not have the exact timeline, but stay tuned for some beta announcements, check in with your Cisco/Meraki team every few weeks.  I have had a handful of customers use a couple of the popular L2TP VPN clients.  As a Meraki SE I'll also be careful here to not recommend any one VPN client over another and will let others weigh in with their opinions and suggestions for you 😊

>AnyConnect is no longer a rumor

You should do stand up comedy @MerakiDave .

I just did 😁

Except my timing is off... or there is no timing.  

Hang in there team.

What about HL3?

I can't find HL3 @BrechtSchamp .  What is a URL for it?

Haha Half life 3 is more likely before MX gets a real client VPN, routing protocols in routed mode, no-nat finally works, layer7 rule logging etc etc.

Given the current rush for work from home, now would be a great time to get this client out there.  I'm finding the Windows L2TP config very unreliable.  My users have been getting duplicated VPN adapters, losing L2TP secrets, and having connectivity issues.

I'd love to use a proper, stable VPN client and be able to deploy split tunnels in a sensible way too.

If there ever was a time for this, it is now...

Sign me up for beta!

I will retire my MX equipment before we see a VPN client.  I was a long time Cisco command line guy, made the jump to Meraki and this VPN client thing really bit me.  Who would have thought Cisco would charge this much for equipment and not provide a proper VPN client.      

I will never recommend Meraki because of this, Cisco failed horribly on this piece.       

MattLeMoo
Conversationalist

Hi there,

I have found that if you use the old VPN shortcut,

i.e. C:\Users\mattq\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk Rasphone.bpk

I add the rasphone shortcut to the users desktop and then we haven't had any issues since.

hope it helps!

Great.  Thank you for the recommendation! 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels