The Meraki iOS application... whats going on with it?

Nick
Head in the Cloud

The Meraki iOS application... whats going on with it?

Hi all,

We use (or try to) the iOS application and have had numerous requests from clients of the MV asking when the application will be updated so they can mount and use iPads to view the camera's etc.

As far back as I can remember the application hasn't been updated. It hasn't been optimised for the iPhone X etc. 

Is it dead or will it be seeing some love?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I haven't heard anything officially. I used the app a lot a few years ago but then the updates stopped and things slowly broke to the point it wasn't usable. 

I get the impression it will be dropped at some point, mutiple people have asked the same question you have over the last 12 months and nothing has changed with the app. 

My sense is that the mobile dashboard app will not be dropped, and it will be seeing some love soon.  I think a good number of development cycles/resources that would have gone into maintaining and enhancing the mobile app were likely redirected into the development and launch of the relatively new Meraki Go small business solution.  I would hope now that Meraki Go is fully launched, development cycles will balance back out and the mobile dashboard app should get some fresh love.  I'm not on the product team and don't have inside info there, just an educated guess.  Keep after your local Meraki team and make sure they are echoing your need for updates to the mobile app.  I will echo the same.

@MerakiDave  thanks for your feedback here however I would hope that resources aren't being pulled away from Meraki systems as many users spend big money to have the Meraki benefit only for the cheaper MerakiGo to be getting more love than bigger customers...

Hi @BlakeRichardson and no I did not mean we would reassign resources to develop a new product to the detriment/neglect of another product.  But as the mobile app has not really been it's own "product" with its own dedicated product and development team behind it, I'm sure some mobile app resources were maybe "borrowed" in conjunction with the development of Meraki Go since that doesn't involve Dashboard and is strictly mobile app based. 

I don't know this for sure but it's my educated guess as to why the mobile app hasn't received many updates or improvements the past year.  My suspicion is those updates will come this year, I definitely would not imagine or expect the app to go away.  I'll remind the UI team that people are definitely asking about it and expecting some updates.

Nick
Head in the Cloud

Thanks for to the input both and your thoughts Dave. 

I’d hope the app would get some dedicated resource and some love at some point. In its current state it’s a bit embarrassing, especially when customers go to use it. It’s the only area which looks particularly neglected in the line up. 

From our perspective it’s a vital app and something everyone of our MV customers asks for and a good proportion of the tech staff use. 

An idea but perhaps the apps could fork, one for MV viewing and access and one for the administration side of things? 

@MerakiDave  Thanks, that would be good if you could remind the UI team, I would really appreciate that. The app is very useful for checking things when out and about and away from a actual computer. 

The app hasn't seen an update since 2 years according to the App Store.

One thing I would like to see in an update is TouchID/FaceID support

Nick
Head in the Cloud

This caused us issues on a potential sale when the client viewed the app. 

Heads up Meraki this can't be helping the MV line in particular!

It's unfortunate that this app hasn't been shown any love lately. It could be so useful, but always comes up short right now. I don't mind using the mobile page within a browser on my iPad, but getting the app updated would be so much nicer.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.