Moving networks between templates query

SOLVED
NeilB
Getting noticed

Moving networks between templates query

Hi,

We have a number of templates setup in our dashboard to manage different site types for the MX's we have.

As part of the templates, we issue out subnets for each VLAN.

I just have a question about, if we change a network to be bound by a different template, will it just continue with the current Subnets it has been assigned initially, or will they be issued new ranges?

Sorry if this is a silly question, just wanted to be sure before i move a network over though.

Cheers

Neil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So I just tried this out on some of my test hardware/networks and it did change the subnets of the. Below are screenshots of the same network that was moved from one template to another and both templates having the same subnet settings for the VLANs.

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 3.32.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-11 at 3.33.48 PM.png

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
MacuserJim
A model citizen

What are the subnet settings you have on the original template and the new template? If the templates are set to use a unique subnet from a larger range, I think it would just get a random subnet assigned to it from within the larger range. That way the template could keep track of the subnets to ensure networks in the template do not have any overlap. 

Hi,

They are using the same /14 range for both template types. the only difference between the templates is due to us using MX65's where some sites have switches and some just use the local ports depending on the size of the site and how many ports are required.

Cheers

Is there a reason you don't use the same template for both types of network stacks?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have to do this exact task within the next 7 days so would be keen to know the answer ...

So I just tried this out on some of my test hardware/networks and it did change the subnets of the. Below are screenshots of the same network that was moved from one template to another and both templates having the same subnet settings for the VLANs.

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 3.32.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-11 at 3.33.48 PM.png

Ah, Thanks for testing. That is interesting. That will cause some issues for us.

We don't use the same template for both stack types as we have some non meraki switches that we have at some sites that require more ports than on the back of the MX65's, however we have some smaller sites that, the amount of ports available on the 65's are sufficient, so need to enable all the ports as access ports.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I've just re-bound a bunch of networks from one template to another (and the second template was a copy of the first) - and it does reset the IP addressing.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.