License required after adding more devices.

Solved
Roey1984
Building a reputation

License required after adding more devices.

Hello

I recently purchased a few additional Meraki device.

I claimed them all to my Dashboard.

But after claiming it, it seems like the MS120 is missing a license.

Any idea why it happens?

I claimed the devices via their Serial Numbers.  (But I only added to the network the MS)

The rest of MR devices are only claimed but not added  to the network.

I can see that I also have a limit on the MR devices..

How do I fix it?

Do I need to purchase an additional device for the Dashboard?

*I sent an email to Meraki Sales, but was wondering why it happened and maybe assist in resolving it.

Thank you!

Roey1984_1-1716468978065.png

1 Accepted Solution
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Entering a Cisco Meraki order number into the Claim tool will simultaneously claim all devices and licensing included in that order.

This being said, if any elements of an order have been already claimed to an organization in Dashboard, the order cannot be claimed as a whole. The remaining devices will need to be claimed individually and the licensing will need to be claimed following a separate process.

Alternatively, orders may still be claimed if the already claimed devices are first removed from their respective environments

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Inventory_and_Devices/Using_the_Organization...

It shouldn't work right now since the serials were claimed. I haven't tried to unclaim and re-do the process.

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Did you add it like To add devices or To renew current licenses?

You have to add as add devices and not renew.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Licensing/Meraki_Co-Termination_Licensing_Ov...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Roey1984
Building a reputation

Hi

All I did was to write the serial numbers I got  (it was on top of the boxes ) and into the Claim section.. thats it

Roey1984_0-1716469575141.png

You have to add it according to the document I sent, or it will be added as a renewal and not adding more devices.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

alemabrahao_0-1716469803494.png

Roey1984
Building a reputation

I understand.

I dont have it, I will contact the vendor I purchased it from.

Should I remove the MS120 in the meanwhile? so I wont have any issues?

BTW, is the order I added the devices ok?

Should I first claim the device, and only then add a License key?

Its always a two step? (first device, and then license?)

You don't need to remove the MS immediately, but it would be good if you validated that you purchased the license as well. If you purchased it, you must request it from your sales representative.

Roey1984
Building a reputation

ok, THANK YOU alemabrahao 

I`ll contact them asap

Thanks for helping

Roey

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You didn't claim the licences since you only claimed the Serials. 

Have you bought a licence ?

Roey1984
Building a reputation

Yes, of course.. I bought both the devices and the licenses themselves.

The vendor didnt send me the license it seems

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No PO number in your purchase ? You should claim the PO ( order number ) , not the serials. It will include the licence.

Roey1984
Building a reputation

ahh, wow.

I didnt know that.

So, best would be to unclaim them all, and then just claim the order number ? and it will add both devices and serial to the dashboard?

Yes

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Entering a Cisco Meraki order number into the Claim tool will simultaneously claim all devices and licensing included in that order.

This being said, if any elements of an order have been already claimed to an organization in Dashboard, the order cannot be claimed as a whole. The remaining devices will need to be claimed individually and the licensing will need to be claimed following a separate process.

Alternatively, orders may still be claimed if the already claimed devices are first removed from their respective environments

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Inventory_and_Devices/Using_the_Organization...

It shouldn't work right now since the serials were claimed. I haven't tried to unclaim and re-do the process.

Roey1984
Building a reputation

I understand.

So First thing, I just removed the MS120 from the network i added it prior, and the License is  now OK.

But have yet to un-claim them all.

After reading what you wrote, maybe I should just leave them as claimed, and just wait for the License numbers that the sales will send me.

Then, I`ll add the licenses the dashboard, and only then I`ll add all devices to the network.

what do you say?

As everyone else stated you just need to add the license now. Yes, the best option is to always just claim the order number as it imports the serials and license key.

But even if you just claim serials and it causes a license compliance issue dashboard will start a 30 day grace period for you. That way you have up to 30 days to claim the license key and get back into compliance.

So, as long as you can get the license key from your reseller in a reasonable amount of time you don't need to unclaim any serials.

Ryan / Meraki Solutions Engineer

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solves your problem please click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.
Roey1984
Building a reputation

Thank you so much Ryan!

I`m waiting for my colleague to answer me regarding the license keys!

have a great day

Roey

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Roey1984 If you claim the order numbers you can assign the devices to a network and assign the licenses to the devices all at once, you would only claim a serial number on it's on if you are replacing hardware i.e. an RMA or you like doing things the long way 😉

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.