Device type

Solved
TLBao
New here

Device type

Our company currently has a mixed environment - Mostly Windows, but there are a handful of Macs. On a couple of Macs, they're labeled as Apple Windows 10 and Apple Windows 8. 

Would anyone have any insight or documentation on how device types are distinguished by the dashboard?

Thanks for the help!

1 Accepted Solution
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I don't think there is any detailed documentation about it.  It may be considered proprietary/secret to some degree.  I have noticed odd descriptions there too, but one explanation can be things like VMWare or a Mac user running Parallels or VMWare Fusion so the same machine can actually connect to the network as two different hosts either at different times or even at the same time.  There is little flag you can use to submit suggested corrections next to the names.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I don't think there is any detailed documentation about it.  It may be considered proprietary/secret to some degree.  I have noticed odd descriptions there too, but one explanation can be things like VMWare or a Mac user running Parallels or VMWare Fusion so the same machine can actually connect to the network as two different hosts either at different times or even at the same time.  There is little flag you can use to submit suggested corrections next to the names.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

Thank you for the reply Brandon! 

The explanation provides some clarity on possible causes of the device type. Wasn't sure what the little flag did, so clarification on that greatly helped. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.