Can I access Meraki device offline?

SOLVED
Inv-Sec
Conversationalist

Can I access Meraki device offline?

Hi,

hope you are all well 🙂

I am new to Meraki and am currently configuring a MX65W device to connect via Site to Site VPN to a Cisco ASA5545, but having just setup my Meraki device and configured within my network, I was wondering if the Dashboard be accessed offline or do i need to have internet connection to access and then carryout any configuration?

Many thanks in advance for any information.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Very simple answer: no

For any configuration beyond getting the device online, you need to use Dashboard. Meraki products are not meant to be used or configured offline. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

@Inv-Secwrote:

Hi,

. . . ., I was wondering if the Dashboard be accessed offline or do i need to have internet connection to access and then carryout any configuration?

There are local pages which you can access, see the MX65's Installation Guide, which explains how to access   http://setup.meraki.com locally, without internet access. However, particularly when new to the product, you will probably find it simpler and quicker to use the Dashboard for those things that you do not have to use the local access for, but the guide has clear instructions.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

Hi Uberseehandel,

Many thanks for your reply, but I have gone through this already and it does mention that for 'basic' configuration, when connected locally, you go to 'setup.meraki.com' to connect to device, in which it will allow you to carryout some configuration before deployment, extract below;

'This section describes how to configure your local area network before you deploy it. A local management web service, running on the appliance, is accessed through a browser running on a client PC. This web service is used for configuring and monitoring basic ISP/WAN connectivity.'

But to then carryout further configuration, i.e. Site to Site VPN, it seems you have to do this logging in via Meraki Dashboard which is accessed via the internet. Hence my questions is that, can I still carry out advanced configuration, if Meraki device not connected to internet, while still connecting locally.

Because I need to have full access to it while i configure and test it's VPN connection.

Do we have or can I configure a management connection allowing me full access locally?

@Inv-Secwrote:

But to then carryout further configuration, i.e. Site to Site VPN, it seems you have to do this logging in via Meraki Dashboard which is accessed via the internet. Hence my questions is that, can I still carry out advanced configuration, if Meraki device not connected to internet, while still connecting locally.

Because I need to have full access to it while i configure and test it's VPN connection.

Do we have or can I configure a management connection allowing me full access locally?

If you need to access the dashboard, you will need to have an Internet connection.

I am unsure of how your MX is connected

• Is it at a location that has a dedicated leased line to another site?
  • How were you anticipating the VPN would be routed to the remote site?

Ok thanks, but to avoid getting sidetracked. Can I access device locally for advanced configuration?

If you want to configure a VPN, you need to be able to access the dashboard. To access the dashboard, you need to be able to access the Internet.

The MX device I am currently connected to is not connected to the Internet. It is connected to another network that is connected to the Internet. This allows the MX to connect to the Dashboard.

Local configuration options are described in the Installation Guide I referred to above.

ok, so bottom line is to do any advance configuration on Meraki device is only via cloud connecting to Dashboard, hence no internet connection then, other than basic configuration, we are not able to carryout any advance configuration.

Many thanks

NFL0NR
Getting noticed

yes advanced configuration, will require access to the dashboard.  You can do some configuration from the mobile app as well if you don't have regular internet.  

Inv-Sec
Conversationalist

Many thanks NFLONR for confirming.

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Very simple answer: no

For any configuration beyond getting the device online, you need to use Dashboard. Meraki products are not meant to be used or configured offline. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Inv-Sec
Conversationalist

Thanks again MRCUR for confirming also.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.