[CHALLENGE ENDED] Community Challenge: Folding@home

AmyReyes
Community Manager

FOLDING@HOME BANNER.png

UPDATE: we crunched the numbers and have our winners! Based on the scores earned between August 15th and September 14th, the top three winners rank as follows:

🥇1st Place: @riles0nic (aka rileyp) with 402,442,819 credits earned

🥈2nd Place: @Nathaniel_Hang  (aka Nathaniel_Hang) with 293,975,851 credits earned

🥉3rd Place: @ilBrigno  (aka ilBrigno) with 23,694,565 credits earned

In addition, we randomly selected three winners from the entrants to receive a pair of Meraki Community socks: @mrsedam@ATS55, and @snaues

Congratulations to all of our winners and a huge thanks to everyone who participated in helping to find a cure for cancer! Our closing rank as a team was 265 out of 255,607 and an impressive 102 for the month of September!

UPDATE: this challenge has ended! Stand by for the announcement of the prize winners 🏅

We know many of you love to support a good cause and give back, which is why we are thrilled to bring back the Community Folding@home Challenge for yet another round! 

August marks World Cancer Support Month, a time to raise awareness about the importance of cancer support and to celebrate those who are there for us in times of need. Cancer is something that touches most everyone’s lives at one point or another. Even if you haven’t personally received a diagnosis, chances are you know someone who has. It can be an incredibly isolating experience to go through, which makes having that social support all the more crucial. 

Our community can do its part by helping to find a cure. When we last ran this challenge in February, you amazed us by helping the Cisco Meraki team rank at around 250 out of 255k teams worldwide. Let’s see if we can do even better this time!

ICYMI: Folding@home takes your unused computer power and puts it to a good cause - helping researchers find potential cures for diseases! Here’s how it works: The software allows you to donate CPU/GPU cycles from your own computers/servers to run portions of these simulations for researchers and speed up results. This crowdsourced processing power cuts simulation time down from days or weeks to just a couple hours, allowing researchers to move quickly in finding a cure!

Over the next 30 days, the three community members who achieve the highest ranks among fellow members by donating their processing power towards Cisco Meraki team 243108 will be awarded fabulous Meraki prizes. 

Check out our first, second, and third place prizes:

First place - Meraki Quarter ZipFirst place - Meraki Quarter Zip

Second place - Cisco Meraki Hydroflask MugSecond place - Cisco Meraki Hydroflask Mug

Third place - Meraki Nike Dri-fit baseball capThird place - Meraki Nike Dri-fit baseball cap

In addition, everyone who joins the Cisco Meraki team and earns at least 200 "Credits" towards fighting cancer will be entered into a random drawing for one of three Meraki key ring pouches.

key ring pouch.jpeg

How to enter

If you have access to gaming computers, servers and/or even just a home PC, get started by following THIS link. Once you’ve set up your account and selected “Cancer" as your cause, share your username in a comment on this blog post before 11 a.m. EST on Thursday, September 14th. Only points credited to Cisco Meraki team 243108 will be counted. To join the team, simply enter “243108” into the client setup when you install the client. 

On September 14th, we will announce the top three ranking community members, as determined by Folding@Home’s scoring. We'll also announce the 3 randomly selected winners from the rest of the Folding@home Cisco Meraki team. That means even if you aren't able to contribute at a high enough level to compete for the top ranks, you'll still have a chance to win sweet swag! 

You must post your username here to be eligible. Note that your comment on this blog post containing your username will be public and visible throughout the contest. If you already have credits to your username on the Cisco Meraki team, we will only be counting the credits you earn between now and September 14th.

The fine print:

For more information regarding Folding@home, please see useful links below:

Folding@Home FAQ

Creating a User and Joining Team 243108

More about "folding"

28 Comments
Ensposito
Here to help

Always willing to fight against cancer.

Ensposito

KKisicki
Comes here often

Here to help find the cure and continue the fight against cancer.

kkisicki

apwilson
Just browsing

Love this!!

Username: asheypoo

ATS55
Here to help

I'm honored that I have been a member of Saint Jude hospital supporters around 5 years. We fight against kids' cancers and I will continue to support any communities that stand against cancer.

Ypsent
Just browsing

Username: ypsent
Team 243108

😀

Andre_S
Here to help

Go team go!

Username: Andre

CloudStrife
Getting noticed
I am an advocate for those fighting for cancer. 

Username: CloudStrife
Team: 243108
MK2
Building a reputation

Let's GO 🖥🖥🖥🖥🖥🖥....

Username: BuschfunkerMK2

ilBrigno
Conversationalist

ilBrigno, at your service. 💪

RARAO_PROINF
Here to help

Lets fight with cancer until we reach zero cases

Username:rarao_proinf

webfrank
Getting noticed

Here we are

webfrank

joe_bullz
Just browsing

joe_bullz

mrsedam1
Here to help

Love the idea

mr.sedam

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal

Best of luck !

tonyavk
Here to help

Hello, 

I've been crouching for Folding@home for years (along side with einstein@home) and I very happy that Meraki involved in this. 

I will switch my home node to help you with this 🙂 username tonywithmerakimx64

Take care, Tony 

meyer_patrick
Conversationalist

Folding as ImpacterRyke

riles0nic
Here to help

Love these challenges, folding again with username:

rileyp

jrsilvius
Getting noticed

Let's tell Cancer to take a hike!

username jsilvius

LucL
Here to help

Nice event !

Fight against cancer

My username : Luem67

skoepf
Conversationalist

I am with you

Username: Steffen

snaues
Conversationalist

The mug looks nice..

RICOH_Deutschland_ITS

AxL1971
Building a reputation

I am signed up username is jfish_1971

Nathaniel_Hang
Conversationalist

Folding as Nathaniel_Hang

Peter_S_C
Comes here often

Username: PTR_NG
Team 243108

AmyReyes
Community Manager

UPDATE: we crunched the numbers and have our winners! Based on the scores earned between August15th and September 14th, the top three winners rank as follows:

🥇1st Place: @riles0nic (aka rileyp) with 402,442,819 credits earned

🥈2nd Place: @Nathaniel_Hang  (aka Nathaniel_Hang) with 293,975,851 credits earned

🥉3rd Place: @ilBrigno  (aka ilBrigno) with 23,694,565 credits earned

In addition, we randomly selected three winners from the entrants to receive a pair of Meraki Community socks: @mrsedam@ATS55, and @snaues

Congratulations to all of our winners and a huge thanks to everyone who participated in helping to find a cure for cancer! Our closing rank as a team was 265 out of 255,607 and an impressive 102 for the month of September!

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal

Congratulations to the top shots 
1st Place: @riles0nic 

2nd Place: @Nathaniel_Hang  

3rd Place: @ilBrigno 

CloudStrife
Getting noticed
skoepf
Conversationalist

Congratulation - well done!