"Uplink IP address in conflict with another device" on some access points -CW9164I

Solved
zack3
Here to help

"Uplink IP address in conflict with another device" on some access points -CW9164I

Im in the process of replacing our old unifi wireless system with new meraki CW9164I access points and im running into some issues with some of the access points.  I getting alerts on some of my acesss points that says "Uplink IP address in conflict with another device ". I have double checked on my dhcp server and im not seeing any evidence of conflict. I also tried rebooting the access point in additon to doing a hard reset. The odd thing is that the error seems to come and go as Im seeing it in the connectivity bar. The strange thing is some the ap's arent alerting (which also pull from the same dhcp server). Any idea on what may be going on here?  I wasnt getting these alerts with the old unif system.

1 Accepted Solution
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

So, on any of those APs if you go to the tools tab then run the ARP table tool and search for the IP of the AP itself you'll see what other device is claiming the same IP.

With those MACs you should be able to track down what switchport they're connected to be looking at your firewall and switch MAC tables.

In your case each AP shows MACs of devices that appear to be 

Samsung Electronics Co.,Ltd or 

Hui Zhou Gaoshengda Technology Co.,LTD when I look up the OUI.

Ryan / Meraki Solutions Engineer

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solves your problem please click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
van604
Building a reputation

reserve the ip of the WAP by MAC address.  bet your DHCP server lease time is long.

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

So, on any of those APs if you go to the tools tab then run the ARP table tool and search for the IP of the AP itself you'll see what other device is claiming the same IP.

With those MACs you should be able to track down what switchport they're connected to be looking at your firewall and switch MAC tables.

In your case each AP shows MACs of devices that appear to be 

Samsung Electronics Co.,Ltd or 

Hui Zhou Gaoshengda Technology Co.,LTD when I look up the OUI.

Ryan / Meraki Solutions Engineer

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solves your problem please click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If possible revoke DHCP leases otherwise if you lookup the IP in your dashboard Network-Wide > Monitor > Clients can you see the conflicting device?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The message should show you which Mac addresses are conflicting.  One point to note is that when the APs boot they briefly advertise 1.1.1.1 and this can conflict with others, but doesn't cause any actually problems.  Another I've seen is where a default IPv6 address is put into a device and this can conflict with other devices including APs (Wiz lightbulbs being an example)

scpswifi
Comes here often

They just do this.  I found I have to look at the real one that has the lease, turn it into a reservation, then reboot the conflicting one.  It may grab another and `I will have to do it again.  I told tech support about this behavior and they said it was the first they heard of it.  I have received this answer several times.  I miss real Cisco APs, lan controllers, and Prime.  

zack3
Here to help

Thanks all. I was able to locate the duplicate ip in the arp table of the access point. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels