how chose the best config Minimum bitrate/Radio transmit power range (dBm)

Hamza_iraki
Conversationalist

how chose the best config Minimum bitrate/Radio transmit power range (dBm)

Hello,

i need your help , on our AP meraki i have this configuration , and i want to know how i can set the best config on my case

on what I have to base myself to design this config for 5ghz and 2.4ghz?

Radio transmit power range (dBm)?

Minimum bitrate?

Hamza_iraki_0-1721828957602.png

7 Replies 7
Holli69
Getting noticed

Hi,

it depends on your site survey.

Usually, a good recommendation is a minimum Bitate set to 12 Mbit/s for 2,4G and 5G.

Power Transmit Power for 2,4G should be between 8 and 14 dBm.

Power Transmit Power for 5G should be between 11 and 17 dbm.

Give it a try, but think about your Site Survey (e.g. with Ekahau AI Pro and Sidekick)

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'd suggest having a read through the Meraki WiFi best practices guide.

It gives some suggestions and guidance around what situations you might want to increase or decrease bitrate.

Best Practice Design - MR Wireless - Cisco Meraki Documentation

@Holli69 's recommendations are good too

Hamza_iraki
Conversationalist

Hello Guys,

thank you all for your replys, but my question is wich criteria used to establish the optimal configuration requirements, how i can determine the appropriate required configuration?

Thank you All

Mark_S
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi Hamza_iraki,

With wireless especially, there is no single answer in terms of the optimal configuration as it depends on so many factors; including the client devices used, the requirements of those clients, the environment the APs are placed in, etc.

The Best Practice Design documentation, which Brash linked above, is a good read as it explains each of the configuration options and what to consider when choosing which settings to apply.

The RF Profiles documentation should also be consulted for further details on each of the options.

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.

Thank you so much Mark_S

how I will identify factors?

for example for BD width i use the wifiman to check the channels interference.

Hi,

If you are unsure on specific requirements for the wireless environment, I would follow the best practice design document linked previously and set your configuration based on this.

If you then face any issues with wireless connectivity or performance, that would be the time to raise a case with Meraki support so they can scope the issues faced and provide some assistance and guidance.

Details on how to raise a case through dashboard or to call the support line can be found within the 'Get help & cases' page which is accessible in the ? icon menu in dashboard.

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would add another recommendation that is not mentioned in your question:

If you don't know which channel width is the best for your environment, go for 40 MHz in the 5 GHz band.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels