Meraki MR36

DonW
New here

Meraki MR36

I am currently in a POC with a Meraki MR36. When connecting the AP to the network, it is not getting an IP address.

Does the port on the switch have to be configured as a trunk port?

Thank you

Don

10 Replies 10
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Ultimately, it will likely be a Trunk to have VLANs for your SSIDs. But for the AP itself, it requests a DHCP address untagged, and an Access-Port would be enough to show up in the dashboard.

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

It doesn't have to be, but in many solutions it would be.  You have to ensure that DHCP will function properly natively on the access VLAN.   Did you try factory resetting the AP?

DonW
New here

Thanks for your replies. The port on the switch works just fine with a laptop. The AP starts to boot up and the LED on the side stays amber, indicating that the AP is unable to get to the Internet. The AP is brand new out of the box so its hard to tell what is going on. I will try to configure the port as a trunk port and see if that helps.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you added the AP to a network in the Meraki Dashboard?

DonW
New here

If I check DHCP I do no see an IP issued to the AP

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Is it a Meraki switch it's connecting to?

DonW
New here

The AP is connecting to a Cisco 2960. I configured the port as a trunk port and the AP is getting an IP now. At the moment I do not see the AP in the dashboard yet

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

If it doesn't come up in due course, check your upstream firewall rules are allowing the AP to communicate with the necessary Dashboard resources;   these are available under ? > Firewall info, top right of the Dashboard.

DonW
New here

It finally came up. I reached out to support and requested documentation as well.

I have some reading to do. Thanks again for you help!

kmcgaugh
Getting noticed

What are you trying to set up?

It ultimately depends. If you need to carry multiple SSIDs with different VLAN tags, then yes, the port on the switch needs to be configured as a trunk. If not, then you can set it to access and the AP should get a DHCP address automatically.

Confirm that there is nothing wrong with the DHCP server, the switch port is enabled, assigned to the VLAN you want the AP to be on (preferably management VLAN which should be the native VLAN if its a trunk), and ensure DHCP traffic can pass through that VLAN.

Kaleb Mohr, CCNA. | Network Engineer
https://www.linkedin.com/in/kaleb-mohr

I am not an employee of Cisco or Cisco Meraki.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels