Wireless Network

lee13
Comes here often

Wireless Network

Hi, 

Apologise in advance if this is a basic question.

Recently we upgraded our business internet to BT lease line and have a meraki mr36 and  3 x wifi access points(different brand)  around the building to give us wifi these dont work with the new MR36 and are now end of life products. So whats the best option to replace these 3 AP with a new alternative to give the whole building wifi access.

Thanks 

8 Replies 8
pjc
A model citizen

Do you mean MR26 are end of life ?  MR36 are current models, no EoL or End of Sale announced.  Whci one do you have ?  If you have MR26 then MR36 would be an ideal replacement

lee13
Comes here often

sorry i just reread my question and didn't make sense, 

we have/had on our old BT hubs 3 access points giving the building WIFI, i just meant there aren't Cisco ones and they are old wont work with the MR36 and are now end of life so time to replace. Hope that makes sense.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Sorry buddy, but what exactly doesn't work? Can you provide more details?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Yes sorry, it was all pretty vague wasn't it. I posted quickly in-between meetings. IT staff member has left and now i am picking up the pieces.

We had an on premise network with servers/dc/switches and so on using  BT business broad band for the internet then we had 3 UBIQUITI AP plugged into the network via eithernet cables around the building to give us wifi (we dont really use wifi daily for business, it was more for guests/external reps/ staff phones and stock take scanners used 3 times a year). We have since upgraded to BT Fibre lease line with a meraki MX75 and MR36 and the old UBIQUITI AP dont work with the new system and are end of life anyway so looking to replace them. I was after advice on which products would be best and cost effective way to replace the 3 AP with a Cisco product that will work with our system and easy to set up. 

Hope that makes more sense. 

Thanks

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The most obvious answer would be to replace the older APs with more MR36s...   Or you might want to invest a liitle bit more and go for 6 GHz-capable WiFi 6E:   CW9162-MR maybe?

I am wondering though whether all the APs are currently connected to the same LAN?   This would be the ideal scenario really

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't quite understand your question, how many access points do you have currently? If you already have Meraki MR then adding more in is pretty straight forward. 

Yes sorry, it was all pretty vague wasn't it. I posted quickly in-between meetings. IT staff member has left and now i am picking up the pieces.

We had an on premise network with servers/dc/switches and so on using  BT business broad band for the internet then we had 3 UBIQUITI AP plugged into the network via eithernet cables around the building to give us wifi (we dont really use wifi daily for business, it was more for guests/external reps/ staff phones and stock take scanners used 3 times a year). We have since upgraded to BT Fibre lease line with a meraki MX75 and MR36 and the old UBIQUITI AP dont work with the new system and are end of life anyway so looking to replace them. I was after advice on which products would be best and cost effective way to replace the 3 AP with a Cisco product that will work with our system and easy to set up. 

Hope that makes more sense. 

Thanks

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

In which case I refer my honourable friend to my earlier reply...   A common set of MR36 APs should be a good starting point.   You may want to survey to ensure you're covering the areas you require.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels